Polder Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ed,

Have you tried the single probe models from Polder and Taylor? I have one of each and they both are working just fine with several cooks behind them. The Taylor model is cheaper (at least where I live). They both read within one degree of the boiling point.

I even "modified" my Polder by putting electrical heat shrink tubing over the intersection of the cable and the probe (similar to what Taylor has done) to help keep moisture out.

I will not buy a dual probe again until someone can prove they work reliably but I will buy more of the single probes.
------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

Honestly, I haven't tried the single probe models, but I've heard so many bad things about them from my brewer friends that I've stayed away from them too. I've thought about buying a temperature display (not PID) from Omega engineering with a thermocouple and thermowell, but I'm just not going to spend that kind of money on my smoker :)

I'd like to have one of those remote thermometers, but I guess I'm just skeptical that they will work properly. It would sure be convienient for those overnight cooks!

I'll chime in for the single probe thermometers. I've had an acurite for a couple of years and it's been quite handy. I chose it over the Polder because it looked the same, but was less expensive.

From the other posts, I'll skip the dual probes and just buy a second single probe thermometer.

My 2 cents.
I have had a single probe Polder for 4 years or so. I always keep it in a plastic bag when it is raining outside (here in Seattle thats almost always). I always cover the probe wire with HD foil when placing it in one of my smokers.
I am still using the same probe that came with the unit, and I use it probably 4 times a week. I wonder if Polder quality has declined.?
I also use 2 Nu-Temp 701 wireless thermometers and have had no problems with them at all (not nearly as fast or accurate as the polder though).

I think covering the probe wire with foil has 2 uses
1.Protects the wire from rain/water
2.Insulates the wire slightly.

Kurt R.

Kurt,

What do you mean by not 'as fast' when referiing to the Nu-701?
Also how much are they off on the temp.

Thanks
Aloha Friday
Rich
Alamo, CA

By "not fast" I mean for instance when inserting the probe into a piece of meat, that is lets say 180 degrees it can take quite some time for the display to go from ambient room temp to meat temp, 3-5 minutes, My polder is much faster than that

Kurt R.

You can also get Polder replacement probes cheap from them if you buy the thermometer.

Replacement probes

As for the Polder that reads two temperatures (oven/meat) - mine stopped working after 2 uses in the WSM. The single-temp. reading ones are very reliable.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kewl:
[qb]I'm wondering why only Amazon products get top billing here.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Buying products from Amazon helps defray the cost of bringing you this Web site. See Support The Virtual Weber Bullet for details.

Here on the bulletin board, we discuss lots of products that are not carried by Amazon. In some of the articles I write for the Web site, I discuss products that I think are good products, and when they're available at Amazon, I include a link to that product; if they're not, I usually include info on how to buy from another source.

After comparing a variety of products from different sources, if you decide to buy a product from Amazon, then clicking on one of the Amazon links is a good way to support this Web site at no additional cost to you.

The Maverick thermometer is a case where I show the product on the Measuring Temperature In The Weber Bullet page but don't include a link to a supplier because availability has been sporadic in the past. But we do discuss it frequently on the BB and when folks find sources, the URLs are posted.

Recently, someone finally stumbled across the manufacturer's Web site, something I'd been unable to find: www.maverickhousewares.com

Thanks for asking,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You can also get Polder replacement probes cheap from them if you buy the thermometer. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

That's neat. Some enterprising person ought to order 50 or so. At .99 apiece he could make a few bucks considering the usual $10 charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back