Pizzas on the WSM

Hi Mike, this was an oldie but goodie, thanks for the trip down memory lane. First and foremost you all should know that these type of cooks will ruin your WSM. I did all kinds of high heat (cooking over roaring fire) in my WSM and all those cooks were amazing, however they ruined the WSM for smoking. To answer your question, I did get the disk, and it did work better than the kettle lid, however my favorite lid ended up being my Comal. I dug up a couple threads on the subject

Search some of my thread with the words "Fire Roasted" if you want to see other high heat cooks in my used to be WSM, now Fire Roaster
Haha good thing I didn’t order up a pizza kettle for the WSM.
Trying to convince the wife we should get an ooni pizza oven.

Hi Mike, this was an oldie but goodie, thanks for the trip down memory lane. First and foremost you all should know that these type of cooks will ruin your WSM. I did all kinds of high heat (cooking over roaring fire) in my WSM and all those cooks were amazing, however they ruined the WSM for smoking.
I keep waiting for my kettle to show some signs of high heat abuse. Pizza cooks are hot!

This thread gave me deja vu. Definitely one I'd seen before cruising pizza setups and it stood out to me.

Hi Mike, this was an oldie but goodie, thanks for the trip down memory lane. First and foremost you all should know that these type of cooks will ruin your WSM. I did all kinds of high heat (cooking over roaring fire) in my WSM and all those cooks were amazing, however they ruined the WSM for smoking. To answer your question, I did get the disk, and it did work better than the kettle lid, however my favorite lid ended up being my Comal. I dug up a couple threads on the subject

Search some of my thread with the words "Fire Roasted" if you want to see other high heat cooks in my used to be WSM, now Fire Roaster
Any pics or info on how it runined it just curious.

Any pics or info on how it runined it just curious.
I don't have pictures, but the sides are brittle and in some areas burned through. If you have an old starter chimney that's seen a good deal of use, that's how my WSM looks. It's probably been a year or more since I pulled the cover on it, for all I know it could be a pile of heap

I don't have pictures, but the sides are brittle and in some areas burned through. If you have an old starter chimney that's seen a good deal of use, that's how my WSM looks. It's probably been a year or more since I pulled the cover on it, for all I know it could be a pile of heap
Yeah ChuckO. I bought an old kettle for my pizza kettle. It has some crazing on it but I don’t care as I only paid $25 for it. Plus I got three wooden handles off it to put on one with plastic handles.

Haha good thing I didn’t order up a pizza kettle for the WSM.
Trying to convince the wife we should get an ooni pizza oven.
I set my EX6 as hot as it will go and I cook pizzas right on the grate, no stone, just directly on the grate. Makes awesome pizzas. The guy across the street paid $5K for a pizza oven and my EX6 makes better pizzas than his oven. I suspect it's because his oven is gas.

Yeah ChuckO. I bought an old kettle for my pizza kettle. It has some crazing on it but I don’t care as I only paid $25 for it. Plus I got three wooden handles off it to put on one with plastic handles.
My thoughts exactly ive been searching used for a performer kettle seems like it would make a good pizza machine. Sturdy with a place to set some otems on the table.

My thoughts exactly ive been searching used for a performer kettle seems like it would make a good pizza machine. Sturdy with a place to set some otems on the table.
Careful about getting a Performer. Those roller things that hold the lid in place when open. Well they burn on high heat cooks. Tony R can verify that they burn :)

Careful about getting a Performer. Those roller things that hold the lid in place when open. Well they burn on high heat cooks. Tony R can verify that they burn :)
Good to know maybe i will just pick up the cheapest kettle on craigs. I just thought the performer would be more stable and the side table would be nice. That being said melted plastic bits would not be the end of the world.

Good to know maybe i will just pick up the cheapest kettle on craigs. I just thought the performer would be more stable and the side table would be nice. That being said melted plastic bits would not be the end of the world.
I ended up doing this. I got tired of removing the plastic bale rollers when we cooked pizzas.

That's what I did several years ago, I found a pretty decent 22 on CL, I use it strictly for pizza & Santa Maria, I call it my high heat kettle.

Picked up the kettle pizza serious eats eddition used off craigslist. Its the one with the kettle pizza the toumbstone style pizza stone and the stainless steel metal top plate. Was looking for a cheap kettle or performer found a couple but many were falling apart or too far away. Found this kettle. guys said he ouny used it 2 or 3 times total and went back to gas so it was like new and he brought it to a gas station only 15min from me for a fair price so i picked it up. I kinda like the green color also. Curious to see using it as a high heat kettle only how long it will last. If i notice any break down of the kettle i will report back in the future. Would have liked the performer for the prep area and more solid base but im strapped for staorage and the kettle is smaller and came with a weber cover a weber charcoal chimney and grill brush. And can be torn down easy for transport to cook elswere if we want.
20211118_171106.jpg

Picked up the kettle pizza serious eats eddition used off craigslist. Its the one with the kettle pizza the toumbstone style pizza stone and the stainless steel metal top plate. Was looking for a cheap kettle or performer found a couple but many were falling apart or too far away. Found this kettle. guys said he ouny used it 2 or 3 times total and went back to gas so it was like new and he brought it to a gas station only 15min from me for a fair price so i picked it up. I kinda like the green color also. Curious to see using it as a high heat kettle only how long it will last. If i notice any break down of the kettle i will report back in the future. Would have liked the performer for the prep area and more solid base but im strapped for staorage and the kettle is smaller and came with a weber cover a weber charcoal chimney and grill brush. And can be torn down easy for transport to cook elswere if we want.
View attachment 40942
It's awesome Mike. Some BBQ pizza is in your future

Back