Pizza on the Smoke Fire

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I might have had my last pizza cook on Frankenstein, the SF makes bomb pizza. I set it to 450 and it struggled with keeping the temperature, so I cranked it up to max (600) and never looked back

My daughter came out for the weekend to see some friends, and spent Sunday with us. As always, Bloody Marys are a given when she's around

3wjvb5F.jpg

As mentioned, I tried 450 and most the time is was below 400 so I hit the gas

SzcsGf7.jpg

First up, my daughter's pizza. She can't have gluten, so I bought some gluten free flour and made my first gluten free pizza. The package said it's a sticky dough and they weren't lying. Had to cook it on parchment. Turned out pretty good actually

Warm up

86SgUrc.jpg

Time to rock

Phyn60E.jpg

n8Esklg.jpg

V4uznpm.jpg

Next up, gluten pizza, LOL

Have messed with several dough recipes, and I keep coming back to the tried and true, Barb's Recipe, thanks Barb for the recipe. I cheated just a little bit, I put some honey in the water & yeast to give the little guys something to eat

DXQSCso.jpg

jljDyDM.jpg

ohlAJtF.jpg

Tqv1zzx.jpg

My bride stretched this one out a little better than the first one, and it was the cat's meow

2qeQy1c.jpg

mx3hvpY.jpg

1rE2dNZ.jpg

yEaPAqd.jpg

We cat sat my daughter's cat and he and my kitty get along fine. Boys will be boys

rJgga6R.jpg

Some good games this weekend, I'm not really into football much anymore, however this weekend was a good weekend to watch some football

Wow; those are awesome-looking pizzas. Great job!

I enjoy being able to see the fire in a pellet grill :)

Last edited:
Chuck what pan are you using?
All you did was crank the beast to 600 and boom? Look great.

No pan, just a stone. Mine is expensive but it's been a great stone

I tried setting the grill at 450 but I gave up and just cranked full blast (600) and I cooked on the left side of the grill, as you face it. My left side is more indirect than the right side

I have to admit, I'm pretty hooked on how the SmokeFire did. I'll likely cook all my future pizzas on it

@ChuckO Did you cook the gluten free pizza with parchment paper under it at 600+? I use semolina flour on the peel, but if parchment paper works that could be even easier so long as I don't send the pizza flying before it gets on the grill.

Great looking pies Chuck. Barb says your very welcome and glad you like it. We also like the idea of the added honey. I see pizza and the camp chef coming together.

@ChuckO Did you cook the gluten free pizza with parchment paper under it at 600+? I use semolina flour on the peel, but if parchment paper works that could be even easier so long as I don't send the pizza flying before it gets on the grill.
Hi Jon

The gluten free pizza was the first pizza cooked, and it was when I was trying to hold 450 degrees. So to answer your question, yes it was cooked on the parchment paper, but no, not at 600

Even though I had my SF set to 600, it struggled to get to 600. It was an unusually cold night this cook, and I think my auger was in the early stages of failing due to the broken auger pin.

I have cooked pizzas on parchment paper (in my Frankenstein) and those temps were 500+ degrees. Long as the paper didn't hang past the stone, no issue. But if it did hang past the stone, it would catch fire

Great looking pies Chuck. Barb says your very welcome and glad you like it. We also like the idea of the added honey. I see pizza and the camp chef coming together.
I still use Barb's recipe, but I do cheat and use my blender :)
Tell Barb I said hello

I might have had my last pizza cook on Frankenstein, the SF makes bomb pizza. I set it to 450 and it struggled with keeping the temperature, so I cranked it up to max (600) and never looked back

My daughter came out for the weekend to see some friends, and spent Sunday with us. As always, Bloody Marys are a given when she's around

3wjvb5F.jpg

As mentioned, I tried 450 and most the time is was below 400 so I hit the gas

SzcsGf7.jpg

First up, my daughter's pizza. She can't have gluten, so I bought some gluten free flour and made my first gluten free pizza. The package said it's a sticky dough and they weren't lying. Had to cook it on parchment. Turned out pretty good actually

Warm up

86SgUrc.jpg

Time to rock

Phyn60E.jpg

n8Esklg.jpg

V4uznpm.jpg

Next up, gluten pizza, LOL

Have messed with several dough recipes, and I keep coming back to the tried and true, Barb's Recipe, thanks Barb for the recipe. I cheated just a little bit, I put some honey in the water & yeast to give the little guys something to eat

DXQSCso.jpg

jljDyDM.jpg

ohlAJtF.jpg

Tqv1zzx.jpg

My bride stretched this one out a little better than the first one, and it was the cat's meow

2qeQy1c.jpg

mx3hvpY.jpg

1rE2dNZ.jpg

yEaPAqd.jpg

We cat sat my daughter's cat and he and my kitty get along fine. Boys will be boys

rJgga6R.jpg

Some good games this weekend, I'm not really into football much anymore, however this weekend was a good weekend to watch some football
Dang! Now I'm hungry.

No pan, just a stone. Mine is expensive but it's been a great stone

I tried setting the grill at 450 but I gave up and just cranked full blast (600) and I cooked on the left side of the grill, as you face it. My left side is more indirect than the right side

I have to admit, I'm pretty hooked on how the SmokeFire did. I'll likely cook all my future pizzas on it
Great pies, Chuck. Dunno how I missed this thread.

I swear by my Emile Henry stone. Best I've ever used. I actually made fajitas on it last week.

Back