Peruvian Chicken

Pat G

TVWBB Emerald Member
My wife is from Peru so I thought I would surprise her with a Peruvian dish. I found this one and it looked good and the reviews were very good.

The overnite marinate.

The sauce.

Sauce is ready to go.

On the JJ for it's second cook.

Added some rabbit food.

Plated with some homemade croutons on the salad.

My soon to be 7 year old daughter loves these shots so I had to include it.

This was a very tasty dish. My wife really liked it but mentioned that it really wasn't an authentic Peruvian dish. Some of the reviews had mentioned this as well. It's a keeper no less.

Thanks for looking.:cool:

Last edited:
Looks kosher to me Pat. Tasty.

One question: Did marinading overnight with the lime juice tenderise the chicken at all. From what I've read, lime/lemon juice can cook fish & chicken purely by marinading. I guess I'm thinking along the lines of ceviche. Ta.

That is a great looking dish and the plating was wonderful. Wonderful approach to chicken and like the idea of the sauce on the rice. Authentic or not, you showed the wife much love.

One question: Did marinading overnight with the lime juice tenderise the chicken at all. From what I've read, lime/lemon juice can cook fish & chicken purely by marinading. I guess I'm thinking along the lines of ceviche. Ta.

I was concerned about that too Tony. The recipe called for an overnight marinate and it only used the juice of two limes, which was combined with 3 tbsp of EVOO, so there was some dilution of the lime juice. It turned out very moist and flavorful.

I use this recipe, which looks very similar (if not identical) to yours. Always rave reviews. Works great with skirt steak too.

http://www.onceuponachef.com/2013/01/peruvian-style-roast-chicken-with-green-sauce.html

Jim, that's the same recipe I used. Definitely be trying it on skirt steaks, per your suggestion.

Wth only thing I se missing might possibly be some Peruvian purple potatoes! I'm liking the recipe big time! Good inspiration. Thanks!

Pat, that looks delicious and very interesting. I like it and the plated shot telling the story for sure. That rabbit food you cooked look great also.;)

Never had authentic Peruvian, but this was fantastic. I could put that green sauce on just about anything. For a side, I foiled some red potatoes using the recipe below. My wife couldn't decide which she liked better.

This is definitely a keeper! Should probably drop a link in the poultry section so we don't lose it.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/roasted-peruvian-potatoes-recipe.html

Chris, I'm glad you tried it. Yes, the green sauce would taste good on anything.

When I was a kid in the 70s, one of the hidden camera shows did a bit where they set up a small outdoor restaurant in a park. They billed it as Peruvian food, which hardly anyone in America would have a clue about at that time.

Well, the food was stuff like chicken boiled for hours with no salt or seasonings at all. It was all just bland, gloppy mess.

They secretly recorded customers eating the food and talking to each other about how awful it was. I remember one man said, "This is the worst (beep) I ever tasted!"

Then a camera man and host approached and said they were shooting a TV commercial for the new restaurant. Would you like to be in it and tell viewers about the food?

Oh, yes they would! The customers--including the man I mentioned--would go on camera and rave about how delicious the food was and tell everyone they just had to come try it.

Even then, folks were desperate to be on TV. I think about that bit often now that Peruvian food (the legit version) is catching on in the states.

I love when people post new flavor profiles from different regions of the world. It's true BBQ variety.

Thanks, and that looks terrific!

Back