Performer Propane Conversion

Ray J.

TVWBB Member
I converted my older style Performer to eliminate the 5lb propane cylinder and to accept the camping style propane cylinders. The main reason to eliminate the 5lb propane tank was that it was costing me over $10 for a refill, where I can get a 20lb tank refilled for a little over $20. I use a MAC coupler to refill the smaller tanks from the 20lb tank. I installed a second shutoff valve since I could access it thru the existing hole.

Over a year ago I won a newer style Performer at a golf outing, however it did not come with the propane ignition system. I thought I can just use the older Performer to ignite the coals which worked for awhile. There are situations that I would be using the older Performer and decide afterward that I need to fire up the newer Performer in which the propane ignition would not be available. I decided to convert my newer Performer have the propane ignition system.

Now my Performers have compatible propane tanks.

0iou.jpg

img85

clkg.jpg

i5oi.jpg

huq5.jpg

I converted my older style Performer to eliminate the 5lb propane cylinder and to accept the camping style propane cylinders. The main reason to eliminate the 5lb propane tank was that it was costing me over $10 for a refill, where I can get a 20lb tank refilled for a little over $20. I use a MAC coupler to refill the smaller tanks from the 20lb tank. I installed a second shutoff valve since I could access it thru the existing hole.QUOTE]

Ray can you list a part list of the conversion from the old style to the 1 lb tank.

Sorry I do not have a parts list, take the regulator to the hardware store and find the parts you need. I have another pic that shows a clearer view:
s0p7.jpg

Regarding the expensive refill, the place I go to will refill the cylinder you bring them, most other places do an exchange only for the 20lb tanks. They charge a premium to refill the smaller tanks. I also had to argue with them that the small tank had the built-in float, they assumed it was an older style tank by the appearance.

First off, you tickled my interest with your thread title..... I thought you had converted away from charcoal altogether into a gas only grill. I'd be keen on doing this. There used to be a Weber conversion kit for this, at least for sale in Australia where propane is cheap and charcoal isn't.

2nd: Did the non propane Performer have the hole in the kettle bottom for the gas burner tube or did you have to drill? Can you show us this?

3rd: Your hardware store parts transition is clever and effective. One safety item to be aware of is that teflon tape (white) for plumbing fittings
is not suitable for threaded gas lines. There's special teflon tape for (yellow) for gas line threads.

Darrel,

I was going to name the title Propane Tank Conversion but I decided to cover my newer Performer conversion to propane.

I had to drill the holes for the non propane Performer, one large hole for the tube and two smaller holes for the bracket. You can see the side view of the large hole on the last picture in first post. I transferred the holes from my old Performer and used a step drill bit for the large hole. I sealed the small gap with high temp silicone. Let me know if you need additional pictures.

Your correct about the use of the incorrect type of teflon tape, I should know better, my son is a Plumber. I will pick up some yellow tape and re-due.

I believe that the regulator is 3/8", since the hardware store didn't have a 3/8" gas valve I needed to transition to 1/2", hence the adapters for those who are wondering.

FYI - the propane costs listed above are several years old, since I'm not a propane cooker, I only purchase propane every couple of years.

fai5.jpg

Updated picture of regulator assembly with correct yellow teflon tape. The gas valve is 3/8" and the regulator is 1/4" so the adapters are 1/4" to 3/8" (correction from my post above).

I had a recent request to provide photos of my conversion since the original photos no longer show up.

I do not have a parts list but I suggest taking the regulator to the hardware store to obtain the proper fittings which amount to a handfull of parts.

I also recommend checking for leaks since we are dealing with propane.

Ray

IMG_1558.JPGIMG_1559.JPG

Back