Pastrami cook

RichardWhitmill

TVWBB Member
Inspired by all the various corned beef and pastrami cooks from St Patrick's Day decided to do some Pastrami. I have been into curing for years and made loads of sorta pastrami i.e. steamed in the oven. But never smoked it as I just wasn't there on some of the fundamentals. Now I'm a bit more confident and getting to grips with my WSM wanted to give this a go.

Brined up a piece of brisket flat last week to my usual recipe.
1000003160.jpg

That's been sat in the fridge for a week and got a fresh change of water to desalinate.

And then this morning just very simple rub of the classic black pepper and coriander.

1000003339.jpg

1000003342.jpg

It's just gone on. Been thinking about methods and was gonna use Brett's method. Then remembered I used to do low and slow in steam and take it to a higher temp before resting much like in Chris's guidance on the website. So decided to do that to have a better control and reduce variables. I will wrap once it gets to the stall to replicate some of that steaming. Want to work out specifically how the addition of smoke impacts my recipe and flavours.

No photo of it going on. There was a freak hailstorm as I was putting on so closed the lid as quickly as possible! Back to being sunny now, classic UK spring weather.

Edit: forgot to say will keep posting throughout the cook!

1000003349.jpg
Pastrami after 3 1/2 hours. When it hit the stall I took out and wrapped. This was couple hours ago and it's looking very close. Currently temping 93 c so close to poking and pulling when there is little bit less resistance. Don't want it too soft though so keeping and eye out.

Sliced up the rest of it with the deli slicer and has come out pretty nice. Froze half of it down and rest will be for lunches this week.

Enjoyed this cook and turned out well. As I said done a lot of pastrami but not a full on smoke. I think if I changed anything up for next time it would be to go easier on the pepper to let the smoke and meat flavour shine a bit more. Probably a bigger piece of brisket, do for longer and wrap later for the bark to set a bit better. But still very happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• PXL_20240324_133243317.jpg
    PXL_20240324_133243317.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240324_133645102.jpg
    PXL_20240324_133645102.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20240324_134450262.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240324_134450262.MP.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 17
Sliced up the rest of it with the deli slicer and has come out pretty nice. Froze half of it down and rest will be for lunches this week.

Enjoyed this cook and turned out well. As I said done a lot of pastrami but not a full on smoke. I think if I changed anything up for next time it would be to go easier on the pepper to let the smoke and meat flavour shine a bit more. Probably a bigger piece of brisket, do for longer and wrap later for the bark to set a bit better. But still very happy with how it turned out.
If you don't mind, what's your slicer?

If you don't mind, what's your slicer?
Hey Tim, it's from a brand called Andrew James which is UK based and does entry level kitchen gadgets. I've had it a few years now and it's pretty good at cutting cooked meats like pastrami but not a very powerful motor so struggles with charcuterie. But with some practice it does make some nice slices which can get pretty thin. As a basic slicer and for the money suits me pretty well. Think it's possible to spend quite a bit on this but for a gadget that sits in the cupboard most of the time I am happy with this!

This is the version they are selling now.

Back