Party time grilling style!

DBWallis

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been accused of not posting enough "in process" photos, so I'm trying harder ;)

We were invited to a backyard party/cookout, and even though the hosts said, 'just bring yourselves!", there's no way we could go without bringing food, so we told them we'd surprise them.

Surprise 1: smoked salmon 4 ways. Here is the salmon brined, washed and seasoned, ready to dry in the fridge:
0CAB12A8-CEFF-40F1-B554-920B32D27493.jpg

From top left, clockwise:
  1. Fresh black pepper
  2. Southwest chili salt
  3. Cumin and garlic
  4. Teryaki-ish

And the fish after about 1.5 hours with temp ramping from 100-180 over hickory:
0B9445A4-7439-415E-9184-690C89B5FDEC.jpg

Next up: smoked, bacon-wrapped Sriracha onion rings:
C0B57001-505B-4CAF-AD49-2C06E1A02D6C.jpg

This represents 6 pounds of onions, 3 pounds of bacon, and about 3/4 cup Srirach!

This is the first time I've tried smoking these. Grilled, they've always been a hit, and we rarely have any leftovers. Last night, the smoked rings disappeared, and the grilled rings were almost untouched. Smoked it is!

These are the grilled rings... we were running late and I didn't have time to get a pic of the smoked. Those were darker and more evenly cooked. These are served with a dipping sauce of mayo, Sriracha and lime juice.
rings3.jpg

Last edited:
Okay I'm not a salmon fan but those looked good, but you got my total attention on those onion rings. I got to go get a towel so I can wipe the drool of my keyboard.

Okay I'm not a salmon fan but those looked good, but you got my total attention on those onion rings. I got to go get a towel so I can wipe the drool of my keyboard.

Smoked Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings with Sriracha Mayo Sauce

The salmon, by the way, was perfectly cooked. It was done all the way through, but still moist and flaky in the center. The cumin/garlic seems to be the crowd favorite, although my wife and I both prefer the cracked pepper version.

Smoked Bacon Wrapped Onion Rings with Sriracha Mayo Sauce

The salmon, by the way, was perfectly cooked. It was done all the way through, but still moist and flaky in the center. The cumin/garlic seems to be the crowd favorite, although my wife and I both prefer the cracked pepper version.

David thanks for sharing the onion ring recipe. My aversion to salmon is because when I was growing up my family had it a lot...always under cooked slightly raw in the center, never got over it.

Like Rich said not much of a salmon fan but those onion rings are to die for. Awesome job.

Those onion rings look amazing David. We were just talking this morning about trying to do some salmon. We're not big seafood fans but are trying to eat more. Yours looks awesome.

The food looks great and very different ideas of how to cook them, I see your are also great ready to do a floor party. Same company that i bought my flooring from good stuff ours is American Cherry.

The food looks great and very different ideas of how to cook them, I see your are also great ready to do a floor party. Same company that i bought my flooring from good stuff ours is American Cherry.

Kevin, we're about 7/8 done with the flooring.. all that's left is 1/2 the kitchen and a small entry. We're still planning the kitchen renovation, and the remainder of the hardwood will be installed as part of that project. Ours is white oak stained a medium grey/brown.

No salmon fans here either. But those onion rings look great. Would definitely give them a try real soon.

Back