Old Weber Gas Grill

TGangelhoff

I am interested in buying this grill I found on Craigslist (if it's not gone already). The lid looks like a darker red than what I usually have seen. It almost looks like a maroon instead of the bright red. Has anyone ever seen one like that before? I plan on getting one like this to fix up since I am not looking to spend a lot of money.

Looks like a good one. I think as long as the lid and the firebox are in good shape any of the old weber genesis are worthy of bein rehabbed.

Go for it. I picked up this one a couple of months ago, did a little work to it, and it has many years of life left in it.

Looks like a Genesis 1000LX, most likely built between 1995 and 2000. Most parts that go south are still available.
Just make sure the fire box is good and not warped from overheating and that the frame isn't rusted through, a little surface rust is no problem. The durawood shelves will clean up with soap and water and if really gross a light sanding will usually bring them back.
I would grab it as that color is somewhat rare but I do see them on CL every once in a while.

Well I bought it last night for $40 and it included a gas tank :) The frame looks to be in very good shape, I didn't notice any significant rust. The brackets that hold the "wood" slats are in pretty ruff shape but might be salvageable. The firebox, lid, and burners look good for what I can tell so far. The drip pan, grates, and flavorizor bars will need to be replaced. The guy I bought it from never used it. Apparently it was given to him from a friend. As a bonus it also came with the original product manual binder and grill cover. Looks like it is a 1997 vintage. Here's some more pictures.

You did good, looks in pretty decent shape. you'll put a few bucks into it but you will still have a better grill than most of the new ones out there for a lot less money.

Nice pickup. Being the frugal miser that I am, I'm not sure if I'd replace the grates and flavorizer bars just yet. You might be able clean them up and get a few more years out them before replacing. Then again, if you are going to rehab the rest of the grill and get it all spiffy looking you might want some nice shiny new stuff on the inside as well :D

If you do opt to replace the flavorizers, I'd go with some SS ones made by RCPlanebuyer on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/rcplanebuyer/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1. They are thicker gauge and less expensive than OEM Weber bars.

If you want to contact him directly outside of ebay, send me a PM and I will send you his contact info.

If you are feeling really froggy, he makes some awesome SS rod grates as well. They aren't cheap, but then again, you'll never have to replace them.

Last edited:
Nice pickup. Being the frugal miser that I am, I'm not sure if I'd replace the grates and flavorizer bars just yet. You might be able clean them up and get a few more years out them before replacing. Then again, if you are going to rehab the rest of the grill and get it all spiffy looking you might want some nice shiny new stuff on the inside as well :D

If you do opt to replace the flavorizers, I'd go with some SS ones made by RCPlanebuyer on Ebay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/rcplanebuyer/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1. They are thicker gauge and less expensive than OEM Weber bars.

If you want to contact him directly outside of ebay, send me a PM and I will send you his contact info.

If you are feeling really froggy, he makes some awesome SS rod grates as well. They aren't cheap, but then again, you'll never have to replace them.

Thanks for the info! I am tempted to get some sweet looking SS grates and I will definitely need some new flavorizers which I will be getting from rcplaner :)

Honestly looking at those flavorizers I would just scrap them down with a wire brush - if they aren't burned through they are still fine. Surface rust isn't an issue, and replacing them won't improve the grill - and they will cost twice what you've already paid. Typically they are half eaten away by the time they need to be replaced. Likewise on the drip pan - I see it in the first photo, but not in the ones you took. Unless it is rusted through, it is still fine to use. Those grates are stainless steel, and also will clean right up if you burn them off. I would clean it all up first and then take some more pictures - once the gunk is gone we can probably give you a better idea of remaining lifespan.

Back