No tank scale on new Genesis models?

Weber.com shows the "fuel gauge," (tank scale) prominently as
one of the features on the Spirits. No mention or pics of it at
all for this years Genesis models.

I have two tanks and try to keep the spare filled but it doesn't always work out that way. At least the tank scale serves as a warning/ reminder that I really should go get the other one refilled. I have had to exchange tanks in the past, giving a nice one for a crappy but filled one out of desperation. I then continued to exchange until I got a nice one in return to have refilled again.
The only time I exchange now is to swap out a tank that has timed out/expired -- and I always cherry pick for one that is in good shape AND has a date with lots of time left.... Don't they let you pick which tank you take? My tanks all have several years left on them so I never worry about being rejected.... but it seems like the two places I usually go don't bother looking at the dates -- especially on the holiday sales - they just fill them as fast as they can. The RV park that I sometimes go to (because it is only 1.5 miles away, but usually more pricy) does look at dates and will refuse to fill.

I've got a 10gal tank that is waaaay out of date - that I bought for the weed burner - that I need to try and get filled for the Perfoma ---- 2.5 gallons is just as much as a 1# bottle...... I wouldn't even be upset if they only put 1 gallon in it - it would keep me going for a couple of years. I've been using the bottom of a 20# tank for the Performa for a while now. Or I need to buy a 1# bottle fill adaptor.

I have a Uhaul that fills but they are $4.25 a gallon right now and about 15 miles away. There is a Tractor Supply about 20 miles away and they charge $3.09 right now. That is reasonable and they sometimes check the dates, but not always. Uhaul always does.
I will probably grab two or three tanks and head to TSC soon.

We would hold the stones if you post some overall photos of it.
Here’s pic of it just after I acquired it. Also a snip from the brochure touting the swing out bracket. The Vieluxe was going to be a flip but I turned away a few lowball offers before deciding to keep it for a while. It’s all cleaned up, rehabbed, and earns its’ keep at camp now.

Attachments

• IMG_2235.jpeg
    IMG_2235.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0560.jpeg
    IMG_0560.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 14
Nice. What is the cookbox layout like? Is it full aluminum or does it have the same style as a Summit?

Don't they let you pick which tank you take?
Not really. The places I have around me that do exchanges, the people that have to do it are always bent out of shape that you are bothering them so you only have about two seconds to look them over before the guy just grabs one out of the cage they keep them in.

Ahhhhh. Love it. Just think it would have been a good thing to use it on the Summits and if necessary increase the retail price of them $100 or so.
If one of those 4 burner Vieluxe grills popped it my area for a decent price, I would have to take a run at it.

I HATE using exchanges. I have multiple tanks so I can run each one to empty and then swap out the reserve tank and get the empty one filled. I also have 2 tanks on my camper. When I need a fill I just look up an Ace hardware nearby that fills tanks. It's been my most reliable way to find a good place to get them filled.

We're in the "design" phase of building our new home and since there's really not any natural gas here in SE Georgia, we're getting a 150 gallon propane tank buried to run our range and our tankless water heater. I'm also going to have lines run off of it to my outdoor kitchen/grilling area so I can stop dealing with tanks. That's the plan, anyway. Until then I will do anything I can to avoid exchanging. Lol

I keep two propane tanks,
one nice one, which I own and refill at Costco, the other is an exchange tank, that I sometimes refill too.

My Genesis has the tank hanger/scale, but I also use an aftermarket needle gauge on the tank itself.

I have 10 tanks, 5 dedicated to my Dual Fuel 3400 watt portable generator which I run only on propane. That way no gas stored and/or stale gas to deal with. The others are for my gen 2000, Weber propane kettle, gas charcoal starter on the Performer and two spares. Seeing that we mostly use the NG E320 for gas grilling we don't go through much propane anymore. When I do need a refill I used the exchange, just less hassle.

Well, I have about 7-8 tanks with only a few not empty. I need to make a run, but I am in the process of getting converted over the NG. I will probably have a line run out to the front deck and will tap into that for my Genesis and my Weber Flame. I don't know if it would be worth it to have a line run out to my back deck for my Q200. I use that more than my main grill soooooo....
Plumber is coming out tomorrow for an estimate.

I have 3 tanks. Really only need 2. I refill at the local Ace. The tank hanging on the outside on the Genesis II is much easier to hang on the scale than inside the cabinet. As has been stated here before, the scale is not precise, but it's a good indicator. Also, I believe the scale on my circa 2019 Genesis II is an improved design from my older 2015 Spirit S-210.

Back