No tank scale on new Genesis models?

Steve Hoch

TVWBB Diamond Member
I was on Home Depot's website looking for something and decided to look at the new Weber grills. I saw that the new Genesis models have been out long enough now to have some reviews to read. I clicked on the new E-315 model which was listed as $799. Most of the reviews were decent enough but several mentioned/complained of the fact that their grill did not come with a tank hanger/ scale like their previous Weber did. I know they aren't the most accurate things but they do still give you an idea of when you're getting close to empty. I didn't check to see if the more expensive models came with one or not, $800 is expensive to me. What's next, the thermometer?

I believe the E-315 is kind of a value leader. Stripped of the sear burner and scale and some other changes, it offers an entry-priced way to get a new Genesis. I am pretty confident the other more expensive models still have the new style scale.

The next model up, the E-325 with the sear burner doesn't come with a scale either according to the one review for it on HD's website.

My E-435 has the weight based tank monitor and in fact has a needle that comes out the front of the door seam so you can see it without opening the cabinet. Not sure if the E-300s have them

Screenshot_20240224-143240.png

It looks like perhaps when Weber did the “refresh” of the current Genesis line, in addition to making the side tables the same size, they abandoned the tank scale - or at least the little red pointer - on some or all of their models.

It looks like perhaps when Weber did the “refresh” of the current Genesis line, in addition to making the side tables the same size, they abandoned the tank scale - or at least the little red pointer - on some or all of their models.
I wonder if it's because most people do a tank exchange now instead of a refill?

I wonder if it's because most people do a tank exchange now instead of a refill?
I get lots of 20lb propane tanks and grills, most are not Weber.

Here’s what I see…

First if you follow the TVWBB, have more than 1 grill and grill once per week or more you are the 1 percent of grill owners.

Most grill brands don’t have any propane tank measuring devices as a rule, only Weber. The exception is a Weber Q3xx

Most grills built in last 20 years hide the tank behind a panel or in a cabinet probably for aesthetics. If the tank is hidden and below your waist you are not going to see readings on a scale or tank gauge easily. Bending down seems to invoke a cost/benefits analysis as we age.

The tank mounting scheme on all grills is not ergonomically friendly. The tank needs to be upright so gas is discharged not liquid. The tank needs to be below the manifold. The tank should be secured for safety reasons. These 3 things leave you with an awkward “ball” of about 37lbs that’s below your core body strength to deal with. So most grills use a tank well or a bracket where you can kind of drop the tank in. Not ideal but easier than going “in and up” to hang from a hook or scale inside a cabinet.

Most of the tanks I get are expired, pre 2012. I see pressure gauges were popular on tanks before about 2004ish, around the time grills transitioned to cabinets and panels and away from tube steel framed open carts.

My conclusion is most people are just guesstimating what is in the tank and hedging with a spare tank which is very easy now that tank exchange is everywhere. You can’t see the tank on most grills so a tank scale or tank gauge is of little value to most people. If they were a must have the grill makers and aftermarket grill parts makers would respond. Most grills, the 99 percent, are used very little so 1 tank worth of propane is enough for a year in the 4 seasons part of the country.

Lol. I have not bought a new Weber gas grill since 1995.
Yeah, last one we bought was about '92. We are still using my dad's from '87 and another free one that was built a bit earlier than dad's.
Other than fixing the frame and replacing the wood, I never saw a reason to (upgrade? :unsure:) get a newer one.

Gerry

I get lots of 20lb propane tanks and grills, most are not Weber.

Here’s what I see…

First if you follow the TVWBB, have more than 1 grill and grill once per week or more you are the 1 percent of grill owners.

Most grill brands don’t have any propane tank measuring devices as a rule, only Weber. The exception is a Weber Q3xx

Most grills built in last 20 years hide the tank behind a panel or in a cabinet probably for aesthetics. If the tank is hidden and below your waist you are not going to see readings on a scale or tank gauge easily. Bending down seems to invoke a cost/benefits analysis as we age.

The tank mounting scheme on all grills is not ergonomically friendly. The tank needs to be upright so gas is discharged not liquid. The tank needs to be below the manifold. The tank should be secured for safety reasons. These 3 things leave you with an awkward “ball” of about 37lbs that’s below your core body strength to deal with. So most grills use a tank well or a bracket where you can kind of drop the tank in. Not ideal but easier than going “in and up” to hang from a hook or scale inside a cabinet.

Most of the tanks I get are expired, pre 2012. I see pressure gauges were popular on tanks before about 2004ish, around the time grills transitioned to cabinets and panels and away from tube steel framed open carts.

My conclusion is most people are just guesstimating what is in the tank and hedging with a spare tank which is very easy now that tank exchange is everywhere. You can’t see the tank on most grills so a tank scale or tank gauge is of little value to most people. If they were a must have the grill makers and aftermarket grill parts makers would respond. Most grills, the 99 percent, are used very little so 1 tank worth of propane is enough for a year in the 4 seasons part of the country.
Most of the millennials, Y and Zs don't pay attention to most things anyways..... I know my neighbor has mentioned several times that 'those gauges aren't very accurate - why even have them?'..... Hell, all you need 1) damn near full - no worries 2) somewhere around half - good to go 3) getting low - better start to worry. All the gauges on all the grills I've cycled thru seem to work pretty damn well - I know with a glance whether I'll be able to get thru a cook..... and I cycle thru three tanks for refilling --- exchanges are kinda a ripoff when you know the local hardware store has '$10 fill a tank' for Memorial and 4th weekends --- I always go down with two empties. I hope they keep doing it!

Most of the millennials, Y and Zs don't pay attention to most things anyways..... I know my neighbor has mentioned several times that 'those gauges aren't very accurate - why even have them?'..... Hell, all you need 1) damn near full - no worries 2) somewhere around half - good to go 3) getting low - better start to worry. All the gauges on all the grills I've cycled thru seem to work pretty damn well - I know with a glance whether I'll be able to get thru a cook..... and I cycle thru three tanks for refilling --- exchanges are kinda a ripoff when you know the local hardware store has '$10 fill a tank' for Memorial and 4th weekends --- I always go down with two empties. I hope they keep doing it!
I am very thankful for the exchange option. Some of the fill your tank places are a ripoff. You go there and the expert looks at your tank and states he can’t fill your tank and you need a new one - Baloney I say.

I have found some convenient fill places with no upsell pressure. In Massachusetts we are around $20 for a 20lb fill and Exchange at Walmart 15lb propane for around $20. Maybe high compared to other parts of the country, but we produce zero fossil fuels here everything is transported from far away.

I like the exchange program to get a nice fresh tank and swap an old tired one. The exchange tanks are an easy sell when you go to sell a grill. No need to wrestle with date stamps on the tank trying to reassure someone that the tank is fine.

I have two tanks and try to keep the spare filled but it doesn't always work out that way. At least the tank scale serves as a warning/ reminder that I really should go get the other one refilled. I have had to exchange tanks in the past, giving a nice one for a crappy but filled one out of desperation. I then continued to exchange until I got a nice one in return to have refilled again.

Back