New stoker-web

I don't think so. There will be contention on the telnet port. They will both continually boot each other out.

Dino,

What kind of problems did you run into trying to get stoker-web running. If you provide some details, perhaps I can improve the documentation.

Thanks

Originally posted by Dino S.:
I finally got stokerweb to run and I was wondering if I can simultaneously run it and stokerlog for a cook this weekend?

I think you can. But I think you'll quickly find yourself abandoning StokerLog though, I know I did.

edit: I'm pretty sure I ran both simultaneously but maybe I'm mistaken.

Gary

I couldn't get it to run on my PowerMac G5 (PowerPC based computer) so I installed everything on my MacBook Pro (INTEL based). I am not familiar with JAVA or installing web servers so it took me some time to get things straight in my head what needed to be done. Below were some of the issues I encountered

1. For stokerweb.xml I had to change the default path to actual path name. For whatever reason, the default="."/>/webapps/stoker.war would not work. I will have to go back at some point and to change it to the original to see if it works now that i have things up and running.

2. For awhile, I couldn't get aaddUser.jar to run properly. I created a blank login.properties file but I kept getting errors. So I just recreated the the blank file again and then it worked properly. I know I initially created a blank file but for whatever reason it would not work.

3. I was having issues with the cooker name not coming up. I had the serial id for the blower in all caps and once I changed it to lower case it then worked.

4. I wasn't patient enough to wait for things to come up properly so I thought I did something wrong and kept stopping things. I eventually let the system run its course and things came up properly.

I don't believe there are issues with your directions since you did state that the Alpha release is for those who have experience deploying java web applications and configuring web servers. I have neither experience but I was able to get it up and running with the directions posted. So I would say the directions are pretty good.

For my Xmas cook, I will use StokerWeb exclusively so I can monitor the cook remotely. I thought there may be issues using StokerLog and StokerWeb simultaneously since there would be two telnet sessions into the Stoker and I wasn't sure if it could handle it. I will let you know if I run into any issues with your software

I know I reworked some of the telnet code so that I will detect stoker data without restarting the bbq program on the stoker, so if stokerlog is started first and then stoker-web is launched it may be possible that way?

I know I didn't have luck running both, but I haven't tried in quite some time.

Dino, thanks for the feedback.

It should run on all flavors of Macs, but I've personally never tested it. There may be path issues between the two, adding the full path to the stokerweb.xml is a good workaround.

The addUser.jar as it stands now is kind of a hack. I wrote it that way to get users in the login.properties with minimal effort. Eventually, it will be rolled into the program.

I recall joe having problems with the cookername in the properties file as well. I'll need to clarify that in the docs.

If you run stoker-web on any significant cooks, be sure to hold onto your log files. Once the report functionality is done there will be a feature to generate a report on past log files.

I recently saw a an image of stoker-web with something like 7 probes attached, it didn't look very pretty. It worked as programmed, but you'd need a pretty wide monitor to see all the probes and graph without scrolling. I took a stab at making the gauge panels wider rather than taller and stacking them vertically, but I didn't like the look of that either. The one suggestion I got was to put the pit probe on the graph line and the rest of the probes in the line below. I may go with this, but I may also add the disclosure panel back to the gauge component allowing the settings to be hidden, saving space. This was included in the first image of stoker-web on page 1 of this thread.

Questions for stoker-web users:

Do you like the idea of the gauge panels on multiple lines?
Would the disclosure panel bother you? I kind of linked it in the first revision, but saw it as unnecessary to hide the settings with just two probes.
Would you rather see the graph below the gauges?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Gary

I was testing out some functionality and I tried to log data every second in the log files. However, when I ran the program it still only logged data every minute. Is there a minimum time frame that stoker web will handle?

Also, for the graphing, is there a way to change how often the graph is updated?

As to your questions

1. I don't believe the disclosure panel would bother me but hard to say without ever using it.
2. I would prefer the graph to be below the gauges. I run off a laptop so horizontal spacing is a premium.

Well, I'm sorry to say this, but I checked the code and the time value that updates the log file is hard coded. I had added the period to the properties file and added code to read it out, but at some point it was rewritten. I'm not sure I want to add the property back without some thought. I had cleaned up the code a bit and changed the temp notifications to be event based. Consumers subscribe to be notified about temp events. In stoker-webs case, a consumer is the browser, the log file class and the notification (alarm) classes, they each get notified of the event and do what they need to. Events are classified as timed or not, the log file class consumes timed temp events and all fan events. This is so temps are written every minute and fan events as they happen. This period also applies to the graph updates, so I don't want to add the setting back to quickly, because of the side effects it may have.

I'll have to think about how to incorporate the log file period change back into the code. I know someone else has also tried to change the value as well. One second does seem quite aggressive, that is even quicker than the stoker spits them out. Are you attempting to use the data elsewhere?

Thanks for your feedback. I had been thinking about it today, and I think I'm going to go for the dashboard type approach. If there are < 3 probes it will look the same, 3 or more and I'll put all the dials across with the settings hidden and the graph below. I think I'll also add the option to hide the graph, so if you want ed to see the temps from a dozen probes from 2 cookers, it would fit on one screen.

I forgot to mention, if you wanted to play around with the value, you can pull the source and make the change yourself. All you would need is a 1.6 JDK and Apache Ant. I have a brief how to on how to build a war file on the project page.

DataOrchestrator.java
<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">
private class RunTimer extends TimerTask
{
public void run()
{
Calendar c = Calendar.getInstance();

DataPointEvent be = new DataPointEvent(this, true );
for ( SDataPoint sdp : getLastDPs())
{
be.addDataPoint(sdp);
}

fireStateChange(be);

c.add(Calendar.MINUTE,1); // Here
c.set(Calendar.SECOND, 0);
updateTimer.schedule( new RunTimer(), c.getTime() );
}
}
</pre>

Gary
thanks for the reply. When I was first working with the software I thought the data logging and graphing were tied together. When I couldn't get it to work and I read this thread from the beginning again and realized they weren't. I would like to see the graphing be more than 1 minute intervals but understand why it is this timeframe.

As for why I used 1 second, it really had to deal with learning the stoker. I have only done a few cooks with the Stoker and wanted to have more a real-time understanding of what is happening. I did not realize that Stoker was not outputting that fast so 1 second is not that important. I would like to log at the same samplerate as the Stoker but that is for more for me to understand the Stoker better and as I get more experience with the system I would not need a quick update. I would not worry about the sampling right now since I can deal with 1 minutes samples; I just wanted to let you know I could not get it to work and I now understand why.

I think your dashboard type of approach would work and will try it out when you get the coding done.

Gary, I must say, most excellent job. I just installed Stokerweb on my home sever and voila. The install and setup wasn't too bad thanks to your wiki on deployment of Jetty on Windows.

Interestingly enough, I can add another browser to your list of one that aren't working. The Windows 7 phone browser doesnt seem to work, <STRIKE>just like the Android.</STRIKE>
*** Installed the Firefox browser on my Droid phone, Stokerweb works great. ***

<STRIKE>For me this is a bummer because those are the two mobile browsers I have. I'm not an iPhone guys so...</STRIKE>

Anyway great job and thanks. Keep up the good work.

Hey Bob, glad you got it working. I had added a few more details just last week to the Jetty Deploy Wiki to try to make it a bit clearer.

I also had better success with Firefox on the Android, but it still froze up after a few minutes. I had pulled a Firefox update since and have not tested it yet, so maybe that will work better.

After I complete the changes I'm working on now, I plan to add detection of mobile browsers and present a simpler page to them, possibly just viewing the temps and change settings. For me, the graph is not important to see on the mobile device. While I'm away from the house or in bed, I just want to see the temps.

Hey Gary -
I did notice a few Firefox crashes on my Droid. Bummer.

I was working on an app for my phone, I didnt get very far cuz I got too busy on real work stuff, but here is an example of what I was looking at for a mobile UI.

I have always found having a trend to be important when looing at this type of info. But it doesn't have ot be always in your face. So the idea is the first screen is simply the Process information and the selecting one of the buttons would carry you to the details screen with more info and the trend.

That looks good. Long term I want to create an Android app to present the data from the server. The big reason I went down the stoker-web web application path is so I didn't have to expose my stoker to the Internet, just not enough security. (The other is an excuse to try out GWT)

That is ideal. I don't like the idea of exposing the Stoker either. My plan was to create a web service to pull the telnet and then expose the data only through web service, and then using a device specific application (Droid, iPhone, or Windows Phone)to view and modify settings.

Hey Bob, hope Stokerweb ran well for you.

I've got a new release coming out soon with a few changes. First I've made a formatting change to the gauge panel. If stokerweb detects 4 or more probes it will align the gauges in a row and place the graph below them. I've also added the ability to hide the settings in that case. If you have less than 4 probes it will look the same as before.

The next change I have is the addition of the cook report. The report can be created from an existing log file with the newly added 'report' button or when a log is ended with the 'end' button a report will be created there as well.

Here is a sample: http://66.156.107.185/logSample.pdf

I noticed a bug when I ran the sample report. When the program logs configuration changes, it does so incorrectly. The sample report clearly shows a temp jump at 10:17a, but the config shows the same target temp. That will be fixed soon.
And lastly, I've fixed a reported but in the Alerts. The food probes were using the the high setting instead of the target temp for the probe.

I have one more thing to add and that is application tracing, instead of writing out to the console, all the messages and others will be written to a file. Once that is complete, I'll have the first beta release.

Gary - the app ran well. Didn't have any major issues. The only problem I had was around functionality not a bug.

One of the features we had Amir add to Stokerlog was to change the Alarms so that they were client side only and not written to the Stoker itself. One of the reasons for this was during an overnight cook I didn't want the alarm on the Stoker to disturb my neigbhors. So after all this time of not using alarms on the Stoker itself, my wife was extremely annoyed having the buzzer sounding at the house while I was out at the store.

Yes, I've thought about that, but due to time constraints I left that option out. When my stoker alarms it has a quite tone that is barely heard outside its waterproof box, so it had not been a priority to me. I had thought ahead and coded the option in there, but the class (TempAlarm.java) is empty and the option is grayed out in the Alert menu.

I'll try to get to that after the first beta release.

Back