New stoker-web

Gary,

Testing A2 as I type. The program is much more responsive and quicker to load than A1. I no longer have to telnet into the Stoker prior to starting the app.

The only thing of note and it is minor. Changing the log period doesn't seem to affect data point frequency on the graph.

Thanks,

Joe

Hey Joe,

Thanks for testing it out and providing feedback.

The frequency you adjusted is for the log file only. The graph frequency is not adjustable at this time because of the negative performance implications if the setting is set too low. Too many points on the graph can slow down the interaction. You can see this on the blower line on long cooks. once a minute seems okay even on 20 hour cooks.

Thank you Gary!

I kind of figured that about the graph. I pulled out an old mediasmart server just to run this. I was easily able to get and running but my next goal is to figure out how to get this running on Tomcat.

Let me know if there is anything you need me to check out.

Cool. I fixed a few things last night that improve it visually.

I fixed the updates of the blower on the graph, currently the blower line will not show on the graph until the browser if refreshed. after the fix the line will update when the blower cycles.

I removed the grid lines from the blower so the graph looks cleaner and made the line a bit thinner.

Looking good, glad it's working for you. When you keep that lid closed, big betty and the stoker hold the temps well
icon_smile.gif

StokerWeb worked great! Now I need to learn how to install this on a hosted web page and I'll be set.

Thanks so much for the effort and for sharing a great program.

If you need help testing an android version give me a holler.

Thanks Joe. By 'hosted web page' do you mean a web server outside of your home network? That's a possibility, but you'd have to expose your stoker on the public network which is part of the reason I wrote Stoker-web in the first place. You could have some sort of a VPN, but then it gets complicated.

Added a new feature, stoker-web will now track the total fan run time. For now it counts the run time since Stoker-web was started, but I plan on breaking it down from the time each log is started. This feature is not in the war file yet, but will be soon.

Next I plan on working on the log end report, after which I'll likely go beta. Then work on the aesthetics of the popup dialog and other enhancements.

sweb8.png

6 probes is a lot. It should handle it, but it will not look great. I have plans to stack the gauge panels when there are more than 2 probe (so they consume vertical space rather than horizontal), but that functionality is planned for after the beta release.

you're welcome to send me an email if you need help setting it up. http://code.google.com/u/116639844442356917674/

Originally posted by Dave Bemis:
Thanks Gary. This may be a project for over Christmas break.

It should be pretty easy to get it up and running now.

Gary, I have a mediasmart server that's been collecting dust. I'd like to set the mediasmart up to run Stoker-Web. I can easily run it on the mediasmart using your instructions but would really like to figure out a way to run it from inside a web page but that might be asking a lot considering the last time I created a web page was in 1996.

I'd imagine you could probably load the StokerWeb.html from a frame in another html document, but you'd have to try it out to be sure.

Development has been a bit slow the past couple weeks, the holiday season can be a bit demanding of my time. Anyhow, I'm getting back into the groove and now working on the final cook report.

Once a log is stopped, you'll get the option to generate a report. (The option will also exist to create it while the log is running and on any previous cook that's been logged.)

The report will have:

Log Name, Duration, Total Fan Time, total Fan on cycles, probe graph and then a list of actions. The actions include a time stamps and the action like configuration change and notes that were added during the log period. Also somewhere in the report will be the beginning and ending local weather data.

The plan is to create the report in PDF format and the graph will be created using jFreeChart.

Currently, I use handwritten logs for all my long cooks. I refer to my logs a lot when smoking big chunks of meat to see how long they took and at what temp. Hopefully, the stokerweb report will all but eliminate the need to create my hand written logs.

I have not heard any negative feedback on the alpha2 release that had been posted. I may add an alpha3 within the next few days with the fan changes and then start making beta releases. From what I've seen so far with testing, it's been quite stable for me.

Looking forward to the next version... I'm doing a couple of butts for a party tomorrow and the program is working flawlessly.

Good to hear it's working well for you.

I've posed a new war file with the changes I had checked into google code a few weeks ago. Just minor changes including adding the fan timer, changing the fan on/off icon and logging the weather to the log file every 15 or 20 minutes.

The fan timer adds no real value, just tells you how long the fan has been running since stoker-web was started. This data could have been extrapolated from the log file for a specific cook (and will be for the report)

Let me know how it works.

I finally got stokerweb to run and I was wondering if I can simultaneously run it and stokerlog for a cook this weekend?

Back