New gal from North Metro ATL

KathyDrew

Hello everyone, glad to be here! I’ve been in love with my Genesis Silver B since I bought it new in ‘02-ish (can’t remember exactly and the SN is faded). I found this forum looking for insight into new grids (bought SS rod from BBQparts). Then I got into reading about restoration since mine needs some love. Then I found some pretty bad rust on my frame in a couple of spots and panicked….so yesterday I picked up a 2000 Silver B for $35! Only problem is it’s NG and I use LP, and it’s nicer than just a parts grill, so now I’m thinking of trying to get it converted and also do a restoration on old rusty. Luckily I read here about the correct way to do a conversion so you will see a WTT manifold post from me along with some other questions as I get into it.

Welcome Kathy.

I have both a 2000 and a 2002 Silver B, and you've probably noticed the frames are different. Here's two side by side.

2000 on the left, 2002 on the right.

If you have a 2000 Natural Gas version, you may not have the vertical support to hold the propane tank hanger.

This part is the same on Genesis 1/2/3 and 1000/2000/3000 LP grills. It slots in on the top and is held in place with one bolt on the bottom.

I don't think I have an extra one lying around, but someone might.

1714585510930.png

There might be some other subtle differences and there are more pics of both in this thread

Welcome Kathy.

I have both a 2000 and a 2002 Silver B, and you've probably noticed the frames are different. Here's two side by side.

2000 on the left, 2002 on the right.

If you have a 2000 Natural Gas version, you may not have the vertical support to hold the propane tank hanger.

This part is the same on Genesis 1/2/3 and 1000/2000/3000 LP grills. It slots in on the top and is held in place with one bolt on the bottom.

I don't think I have an extra one lying around, but someone might.

View attachment 90175

There might be some other subtle differences and there are more pics of both in this thread

Thanks for the link and the info Dan - yes, I discovered the subtle differences in the frames when I got the 2000 home - rookie mistake! That frame is in excellent condition compared to mine so that’s why I would like to convert that one and need that vertical tank plate. Otherwise I intend to do exactly as you did - make one great grill from the best parts, then a passable grill to sell or share with family.

@KathyDrew

The other subtle difference I found relates to the valves and how much "sweep" angle they have.

The older Silver B manifolds had slightly less "turning". Off straight up at the 12 oClock position with low around the 5 oClock position.

The newer style valves rotate a more and the low setting is at the 3 oClock position.

I only mention this because if you match a newer control panel with an older manifold or vice versa, the knob positions won't match the printing on the control panel.

Here is the 8101 control panel that my model year 2000 Silver B has. ( note: the pic is not mine)

1714591184520.png

here's a newer style. I think this is a 2002 Silver B and you can see the difference where "low" is.

1714591070363.png

Back