New Dog Pics - Post Pics Of Your Best Friend!

Man, as awesome as this thread is, it's hard for me to not get choked-up. I've been through it, too. For everyone here who has loved and lost their buds, my heart goes out to you. Sucks so much. But we come through it, and so do they. I'm a firm believer that there's something beyond the Rainbow Bridge.

Sorry. This one got me.

Quick anecdote. True story.

I'm a teacher. Many years ago, I was teaching summer school (gotta make bank in this job). While teaching a class full of seniors, my phone rang. Seeing that it was my mother, I actually took the call. Glad I did.

Long story short, she told me someone was trying to get in the house. My dad, also a teacher, was traveling for a math conference. Mom was alone...except for our incredible Akita, Jay, who was ridiculously protective of my mom. He was fearsome when necessary, but the sweetest animal.

I was only about 2 miles from our house. I bolted from the room, leaving a group of students alone to deal with American history. Sped through town and got to the house in moments, thinking it was go-time.

When I entered the house, I heard a guttural sound I'd never heard from that dog...I was actually nervous to get near him.

Just past the mud-room, Jay had the intruder pinned to the ground with his jaws snapping near the man's neck. The man was on his back, crying out for help. I didn't think I could call-off Jay, but after a minute he acquiesced and ran to my mom's side, who was up a flight of stairs.

I'm about 6'1, 225, and wrestled through HS. I put the weight of my right lower leg on the man's neck and told my mom to call the cops. When they arrived, they found me still on the man. Jay was going nuts upstairs and refused to leave my mother's side. Small town. I knew one of the cops, but I didn't want to get off the perp. Ended up having to go to the police station. Long story.

We lost Jay 20 years ago.To this day, I say a silent prayer to that dog for his protection of my mother. I will never, ever forget him. Neither will my mom. From that moment on, my mom couldn't move 10 feet without that dog beside her.

Semper fi.

We had to say goodbye to our boy Winchester last Thursday, he was 9. He was diagnosed with a high grade aggressive MAST cell cancer back in June. He was doing okay and then suddenly overnight he wasn’t. It was a hard decision, but the right one. He passed peacefully with dignity.

View attachment 82070
So sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is when you lose a beloved family member.

The correct emoji isn't here to respond. It should be like a beer and a big hug. So sorry you had to say goodbye to your buddy. I feel they truly are mans best friend. I'll raise one tonight in honor of Winchester.
Thanks Gary, they truly give unconditional love. We watch our son’s dog Chevy(9mo.) everyday, he’s helping fill the void. He emulated everything Winchester did, he learned from a good one…

6B1E58AB-95B0-4D76-A3A3-4FC57062DE88.png970C1E99-A192-4F87-A44F-7BB917721F50.png

We had to say goodbye to our boy Winchester last Thursday, he was 9. He was diagnosed with a high grade aggressive MAST cell cancer back in June. He was doing okay and then suddenly overnight he wasn’t. It was a hard decision, but the right one. He passed peacefully with dignity.

View attachment 82070
So sorry to hear about Winchester. He was a good 'un. That's a beautiful memorial piece.

Hate those MAST cell cancers. I lost my little Penny to one back in May.

It's a strange time - as we get older, we think things should be getting easier and simpler - yet these days, there is a constant noise that makes that often difficult - thankfully we have pets that listen and hear at a different frequency which helps us sometimes tune out that noise and helps us focus on the simpler or more important things . When we lose a dog its heart breaking. Duane, are thoughts are with you....

Barb and I will be married 40 years this Sunday, in that 40 years we have rescued six golden retrievers, and two other dogs all of which were mistreated or abused. With a lot of hard work and love we were able to turn their lives around and made them happy and secure. Every one of them when they passed away broke our hearts. But we always got another rescue to try and give the broken pup a new start on life. They gave much more to us then we gave to them.
It's what we do.

Back