New DigiQ II!

Jason Howard

TVWBB Fan
I got my new unit Thursday and am well into my first cook of 2 8lb pork butts.

To mount it I bent up the included bracket and mounted it to the top hole of one of the legs. Here is a picture of the mount.
IMG_4053.jpg

I love this thing, setup was a snap and everything is working flawlessly so far!

That is awesome! That is a beautiful mounting job as well! I have a Stoker but I am considering adding a DigiQ II to my smoker toolkit. The DigiQ II would be simpler when I take the WSM with me on vacation. Nice picture!

Love mine! Had it for a few years now. Let me know how that mount works. I was concerned about heat?

Jason, Nice unit, and nice mount job there. I like the fact that it's down and out of the way.
icon_cool.gif

If you are worried about heat, mount it on one of the lower grate tab bolts.
Worried about heat mounted on the charcoal bowl, mount some foil backed insulation on the back side of the mounting bracket to deflect some of it. Should help out quite a bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Worried about heat mounted on the charcoal bowl, mount some foil backed insulation on the back side of the mounting bracket to deflect some of it. Should help out quite a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was think more of heat transfer from the bracket from the charcoal bowl.....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dwight Coker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
Worried about heat mounted on the charcoal bowl, mount some foil backed insulation on the back side of the mounting bracket to deflect some of it. Should help out quite a bit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was think more of heat transfer from the bracket from the charcoal bowl..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here, not from the mid section but convection from the bowl/bracket. But like Bryans thought if you want to keep it mounted down there. Might give mine a try next time. Have my Digi II for a few years now and have never used the bracket. I also have the magnetic mount. Should give it a try. Also have the direct connect to the blower if you want constant air flow on occasion - as when using it for high temp cooks or grilling on the WSM.

Up until this year my Performer and WSM were kept on the porch, so I used to just set the Digi on the nearby table.

Gonna have to play some more...

Hey fellas, sorry for not responding yet.

It doesn't very hot mounted down there at all actually. The metal in the bracket is so thin that most of the heat dissipates by the time it reached the unit. I can grab the top of the bracket no problem.

Thanks for the comments, I love this thing!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dwight Coker:
I was think more of heat transfer from the bracket from the charcoal bowl..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Really the only thing making contact down there is that small 1/4-20 round head screw/bolt. The bracket is flat and the bowl is round so I don't see it as a big problem. JMO.

Back