My smoke/braise pulled pork

Nate Frost

TVWBB All-Star
Well, I gave it a go today after seeing some nice cooks here. Here it is.

Just before going into the braise cycle.

After

Used the braise liquid as a sandwich dip and man was that good. Braise was an IPA, apple cider vinegar & water.

Nice job Nate! Did you rest after braising? Put it back on the smoker? Please advise. I think I will use this technique for the inaugural cook on my new Who Dat Mini next weekend...

Nice job Nate! Did you rest after braising? Put it back on the smoker? Please advise. I think I will use this technique for the inaugural cook on my new Who Dat Mini next weekend...

No resting. I just transferred the pork out of the braise liquid to a different dish and shredded. I poured the braise liquid in a fat strainer seperator thingy and used that as a dip for the sandwich. I believe this method all started here.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?51784-Smoked-and-Braised-Pulled-Pork

This will probably be my preferred method for pulled pork since I know when it will be done.

I haven't had breakfast yet and that makes me even hungrier.

All you guys smoking and braising reminds me of a store here in middle TN. They have a huge brick pit that they hickory smoke pork butts in every few days. They only half cook them though, and then hold the butts in a cooler to pull out as needed and boil in highly seasoned water. Serious as a heart attack. There's no bark, but they still have some smoke flavor.

So do tell -- was there a noticeable difference in the moisture of the meat or in the flavor?

What was your cooking time, pre-braise and total with braise?

Because this is a "timed" cook and not a "poke test" cook, how were you sure it was done?

Thanks!

So do tell -- was there a noticeable difference in the moisture of the meat or in the flavor?

What was your cooking time, pre-braise and total with braise?

Because this is a "timed" cook and not a "poke test" cook, how were you sure it was done?

Thanks!

Just as others here have done, 3 hours pre-braise then 5 hour braise. I actually only did 4.5 hours braise because I was hungry. I did check the temp. since this was my first time using this method. Meat temp was 210*. The meat was moist and very good. The meat takes on the flavors of the braise liquid, at least that's what I experienced. As I mentioned previously, my braise was an IPA, apple cider vinegar and some water. I could taste the beer and vinegar, as well as the alder smoke and my rub. My rub is simple, first some yellow mustard, then apply sea salt and crushed peppercorns. I mortor and pestle the peppercorns. If you haven't tried this method, you should.

Wish I could get a sniff of how great this smells. I'll be trying this with Sweetwater IPA... My favorite!

What temperature did you keep it around?

I fluctuated between 225~260*. I was actually going for a cook temp of around 230* but just couldn't get it stabilized. It could have been the blazing sun that added to the increased heat of the kettle to. Of course the temp would jump a bit when the wood was burning. I did a 2x1 snake method. This was an 8lb piece of meat just for reference.

Wish I could get a sniff of how great this smells. I'll be trying this with Sweetwater IPA... My favorite!

You mean you don't have the new Smellavision app for android and iOS? Haven't tried Sweetwater. I'll have to see if they have it somewhere around here. I love IPAs? Out of the selection of IPAs I have in the garage fridge, I used Hop Nosh, 12 oz in the braise liquid.:)

Back