My Mini WSM

I used expanded sheet metal ( http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UQsF0Wc56dc ) to build the basket. For the bottom, I just cut a circular piece of the expanded sheet metal to the inside diameter of the charcoal grate and wired it to the charcoal grate. For the sides, I cut three 12" by 3 1/2" sections of the expanded sheet metal, wired the 3 pieces together and to the charcoal grate. Bent the top rim of the charcoal basket over to give it a lip so that I could lift it out.

Charcoal basket width with the lip 10 3/4"
miniwsmcharcoalbaskeywidth_zpse4aa2028.jpg

Charcoal basket height 3 3/8"
miniwsmcharcoalbasketheight_zps58ffc9b0.jpg

I changed diffusers from the 12" clay saucers (http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...Terra+Cotta+Saucer&storeId=10051#.UOiSznf67DE) to an 11" pie pan. I've had 3 clay saucers crack down the middle on cold days. Found this 11" pie pan at Marshalls (Ross) for $2. The biggest differences I have found are, the temps will go from 0 degrees to 280-300 degrees in 10-15 minutes and I can maintain 230-250 degrees with the vent 1/8th open.

New 11" pie pan diffuser:
miniwsmdiffuser1_zps311f56b6.jpg

miniwsmdiffuser2_zpsd0d83045.jpg

I know I'm raising the dead with this old thread - please forgive.
I'm trying to locate a similar pan to what you have...Is the bottom of your pan raised? Like this one: http://baking-pans.kaiserbakeware.com/Noblesse-Flan-Pan-11-5-cup-plu7007565610.html

Thanks!
David

from the looks of it i think you found the same thing. it looks like the center is raised its just hard to tell from looking straight down on it.

If so, he got a bargain when he bought it for $2! They're $18 on Amazon...

Sadly, there's no Marshall/Ross nearby to check for an item that was purchased 6 months ago :(

almost any 11-12" pie pan or whatever will work. i find all of mine at the second hand store cheap. use a trivet or cooky cooling rack of some sort to lift it off of the diffuser.

Re-purposed a small shopping cart into a mobile smoking cart. Now I can just roll everything in and out of the garage.

The trash can buggy corded to the back holds charcoal.

Last edited:
What kind of tool did you use to cut the expaned sheet metal? I bought a sheet from Home Depot to make a basket for my mini.

Mitch,

I used Wiss Aviation snips they work fine, take a little longer than my Jig Saw, but they will do the trick

Home Depot sells them for around $10.00

I used tin snips to make a basket for my 26.5" kettle. It wasn't the easiest thing to do, but it got the job done. However, it left a lot of sharp edges which I had to grind down.

How I keep the mini wsm above 300 degrees. Smoked some wings for lunch today.

My mini wsm has 3 grates. The top grate is right below the top of the mini body. Put wings or chicken on the lower 2 grates. Then I use the steamer pot insert in the top grate location. Sometimes cover the steamer pot insert with foil. This helps hold the heat in more and I can sustain high temps.

Steamer pot insert in top grate location.

Wings on the middle grate.

Temp setting at 325 degrees.

Wings done.

Last edited:
Probably one of the best builds, and best thread on how to's.
Please tell me that wasn't you wearing flaps & sox....*smirk*

Back