Moink Balls

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
I'm planning on doing a round of Moink Balls this weekend but I only have 1 problem... I've never done them before. A couple of questions:

1) pre-made, frozen meatballs or home made meatballs?
2) if home made, do you pre-cook the meatballs?
3) how long do you smoke them for?
4) other suggestions?

I'm also making wings & ABT's so I'm sure our stomach will thank me! Thanks for the help.

I much prefer to use my own meatballs that I make specifically for Moinks. I tried a bunch of different prepared frozen meatballs and never found one that had bold enough flavors to balance out the bacon so I make my own. I use hot breakfast sausage as the base with a penade. You definitely need to precook the meatballs. I use a quality thin sliced bacon, not thick cut. Smoke them LNS for 1.5 to 2 hours, sauce and finish for another 20-30 mins.

Last edited:
I make my own with a panade and don't precook the meatballs.

I cook them until they are 160*F internal and the bacon is crisp.

For an extra tip try stuffing them with cheese and some jalapeño.

Last edited:
I followed Harry Soo on this one.

http://www.slapyodaddybbq.com/2012/06/bbq-moink-balls/

He uses Walmart Brand meatballs and walmart brand bacon. I did the same and they came out great. Both times that i have done monk balls i followed this. Bought the frozen walmart brand then put them in the fridge to soften up. Very easy.

Would recommend. I'm not sure if i'm allowed to post that link or not so if i'm not i apologize.

Thanks.

Just did a batch last night, made my own meatballs, thin sliced bacon, and a little Saint Louis rib rub sprinkled on them. Cooked indirect on the gasser at 300 at 155 I basted them with Big Als BBQ sauce, 10 more minuets to 160 done, came out great.

MOINKS012_zpsf4e14774.jpg

Just did a batch last night, made my own meatballs, thin sliced bacon, and a little Saint Louis rib rub sprinkled on them. Cooked indirect on the gasser at 300 at 155 I basted them with Big Als BBQ sauce, 10 more minuets to 160 done, came out great.

Rich, approximately how long did they take to cook at 300 degrees. Thanks.

Rich, approximately how long did they take to cook at 300 degrees. Thanks.

About 35-40 minutes total these were about 1-1/4'' meatballs.

Here is the recipe I used if you're interested:

1 pound 80/20 ground beef
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 large egg
1/12 tsp ground garlic
1/2 lb bacon, halved
1/4 cup favorite bbq rub
1 cup of your favorite bbq sauce

Mix the first four ingredients and form into 1" meatballs
Wrap with 1/2 slice bacon secure bacon with a toothpick
Cover meatballs with your BBQ rub
Cook on indirect medium heat until internal temperature reaches 155 about 20-25 minutes
Brush on BBQ sauce and cook another 10 minutes until internal temps reach 160-165 and bacon is crisp.
Remove and let rest 5 minutes

I used Johnsonville pre-made Italian Herb meatballs and regular bacon. The flavor comes from the smoke, bacon and finally the sauce. The meat is just along for the ride.

Back