Master Touch available for 2015 lineup

Tyson,

Fantastic observation on the new vent location, I totally missed that. Might not make that much of difference, but definitely will be a big change with charcoal/food placement. Thank you for pointing that out man.

After checking our inventory, it appears the new Performers have the same vent/therm location as well. Furthermore, looking at the stock Performer pic, it shows the vent facing the front, and the therm towards the back for some strange reason. I can't imagine that if you turned the lid around towards you, the therm would be upside down lol. We'll have to see.

It's possible the pics are off with the new config, but I doubt it.

Here it is:

2015Performer_zps7f372c3d.jpg

----------------------------------

Last edited:
Can I ask... What vent are you discussing? I presume the top vent in the lid, but it don't understand why that would matter.

Clearly I have a lot to learn!

-Tom in So Cal

Can I ask... What vent are you discussing? I presume the top vent in the lid, but it don't understand why that would matter.

Clearly I have a lot to learn!

-Tom in So Cal

Tom, the vent/therm placement comes into play more so in indirect cooking. Take a look at my last post at http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?54820-Treating-coworkers-to-some-BBQ . Specifically, look at the 5th picture down and compare the vent/therm setup VS the new performer (the two are on opposite sides).

I know some of us that have the "older" setup, you toss your charcoal onto the left side of the bowl, and place the food on the right side for indirect cooking. With the default placement of the lid, you end up with the thermometer facing you, and more importantly, the vent over the food, which allows the heat & smoke (if smoking) to travel over the food, cooking and smoking it in the most efficient manner:

weber_2_zone.jpg

If you wanted to use the same charcoal/food placement with the new setup, you'd end up with a couple of surprises.

1. The thermometer would end up on the charcoal side, giving you an inaccurate reading of the temp where your actual meat is located
2. The handle would end up perpendicular to the length of the grill, making it really awkward to handle. Well, maybe for some.

I know I'm being picky, and the new system will work out fine, just will require some changes to the way we're used to doing things.

Another thought, maybe they want you to actually use BOTH charcoal baskets, one on each side, and place meat in the middle. For that kind of cook, no changes would really be necessary. I'm sure it will even be fine with having charcoal on one side, again, just a minor change. Just my .02

Martin

Last edited:
Tom, the vent/therm placement comes into play more so in indirect cooking. Take a look at my last post at http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?54820-Treating-coworkers-to-some-BBQ . Specifically, look at the 5th picture down and compare the vent/therm setup VS the new performer (the two are on opposite sides).

I know some of us that have the "older" setup, you toss your charcoal onto the left side of the bowl, and place the food on the right side for indirect cooking. With the default placement of the lid, you end up with the thermometer facing you, and more importantly, the vent over the food, which allows the heat & smoke (if smoking) to travel over the food, cooking and smoking it in the most efficient manner:

weber_2_zone.jpg

If you wanted to use the same charcoal/food placement with the new setup, you'd end up with a couple of surprises.

1. The thermometer would end up on the charcoal side, giving you an inaccurate reading of the temp where your actual meat is located
2. The handle would end up perpendicular to the length of the grill, making it really awkward to handle. Well, maybe for some.

I know I'm being picky, and the new system will work out fine, just will require some changes to the way we're used to doing things.

Another thought, maybe they want you to actually use BOTH charcoal baskets, one on each side, and place meat in the middle. For that kind of cook, no changes would really be necessary. I'm sure it will even be fine with having charcoal on one side, again, just a minor change. Just my .02

Martin

I couldn't have said it any better, Martin. I don't want to make a big deal about it, but I hate the new lid. There I said it! :(

Can't you just turn the lid? The thermometer is just a fancy decoration anyway, right?

Sure you can, I don't use the therm half the time either, but then you also end up with the handle in a "vertical" fashion. Like we said, not a big deal, but little things we notice that may bother some people. Observations more or less.

Is it me or do the legs on the new kettle and MT kettle have a push pin at the top. The kind that snaps in when you push it through and use your finger to push down to pull it out. Like on a weed eater attachment. I have no idea what these are called. Look closely where the legs insert into the kettle. I was looking at them, because I would like to put the MT legs and wheels on my OTG. I always felt it was too short.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00N65AHAY/tvwb-20

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00N6XA198/tvwb-20

Weber seems to be motivated by customer demand late again, as in the case of the "Mini" smokers built using a Smokey Joe. Their reaction came way late and they have missed many potential sales by pricing it much to high for what you get. So maybe a do it yourself 26.75 Performer movement needs to show them what the customer really wants before they are spurred into action late once again leading from behind. Hey Weber, lose the holding group mentality and think like what George might have done. Duh.

The new 26 OTG is also out. apparently the vent configuration is changed as well, with the addition of push pin and stainless steel one touch instead of steel in the 22.5:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00N65AAW4/tvwb-20

It retails for 313.39 with a list price of 349.00. Now if you think about that, the price for the 26 is 1.6x that of the 22. If that holds for a 26 Performer it would retail around $640.00. How many people do you think would sink $640 on a 26 inch performer?

It retails for 313.39 with a list price of 349.00. Now if you think about that, the price for the 26 is 1.6x that of the 22. If that holds for a 26 Performer it would retail around $640.00. How many people do you think would sink $640 on a 26 inch performer?

I WOULD!!!! Actually I would sink up to 800 for a 26 performer if it is close to the picture/drawing that was floating around the site a few months ago. I was really hoping this was the year for the 26" performer. I'd craigslist half my fleet for that dude!

The new 26 OTG is also out. apparently the vent configuration is changed as well, with the addition of push pin and stainless steel one touch instead of steel in the 22.5:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00N65AAW4/tvwb-20

Think of it this way, the 26 is already way overpriced now. It sold for 269.00 not long ago. The 26 has 508 sq inches of cooking surface.
The Smokey Joe has about 147 sq inches of cooking surface for 29.95. I am just goofy enough that before I would give 649.00 for a 26 Performer
with a cheezy plastic table that I would take a cart from an older Weber gasser, mount 2 SJ's on a carousel on each end and cover the middle with
brushed stainless steel. A true Rube Goldberg Performer it would be for under 200 bucks. But that's just me. No propane starter, but just think
how it could light up the night sky with all 4 smokies and lots of Myron Mixons favorite Gulflite blazing away. Maybe I could motorize the carousels
to have the SJ's rotating in opposite directions. Ya know, this would be a great project for a retired guy like me with too much time on his hands.
And if I get really bored I could make the SJ's into Mini's.........

I WOULD!!!! ................................ I'd craigslist half my fleet for that dude!

Now c'mon Dustin!! You would not get rid of any of your treasured fleet! :)

But I'm with you. I'm going to bite the bullet and get a 26.75" kettle and then I know Weber will come out with the Performer in that size.

I know I'm a newbie and this isn't the thread to ask but what's all this talk of a 26 or a DIY 26- somehow I've missed this in all my combing through the various threads?? Have they made them in the past? I was just thinking the other day I'd like to have just a tad bit bigger than my 22.5 and I've been looking for a Performer. That would be an awesome combination, albeit expensive- but that never stopped me from being patient for one to show up on Clist! ;)

@ Pete yeah your right I wouldn't get rid of any of them ��. You really should get a 26, not because Weber will come out with a 26 performer and then I'd get one, but you'll really enjoy the benefits of the extra room on one grill. I love mine! I use it for 90 percent of my cooks even when it's just me and the wife. My only compliant is the ash sweep is the same size as the 22's and if you bank coals like I do it is tough to get all the ash out without pulling the charcoal grate. The legs are a little on the weak side but I don't move mine around much so hot a huge issue. If your considering buying one now Amazon still has the 2014's and they are only 299 plus the lid handle is still the right way.

@ Jeff they do make a 26 weber (actually a 26.75 to be exact), but they don't make and never have made a 26" performer. I only know of two DIY 26ers and Both were built similar to the now discountinued one touch platinum. Member Gary S built a beautiful custom 26 and Earl (D I think) built one using an older gasser setup. Both are very cool. I'll try and find the links if your interested in the DIY option.

I really think there was on of these Master Touches on CL last week. I should have grab it. It was an old one.

Hector, I'm in Chicago also. Was it that red one?

It was a black one. Are you looking for a red one?

*edit*

if it was the red one i think i would of picked it up.

Martin,

What do you think of the SS-Performer on CL right now?; for $75

Last edited:

Back