Treating coworkers to some BBQ

Martin Chicago

TVWBB Member
Hey Everyone,

Martin here. I've been lurking around here for a while, and finally decided to post one of my cooks. Decided to treat
my coworkers to some good grub. I'm feeding a total of 8 folks, so decided to grill 4 split chickens, a slab of really meaty loin ribs, some hot Italian sausages, and a bunch of diced parmesan potatoes. I cooked this stuff yesterday, and brought it in to work today. Everyone loved it, and offered to chip in, but I insisted it was my treat this time. Need to get them hooked first, then I'll start charging haha:

Bought 4 chickens (3 pounders), split them and dusted with Chef Merito, Weber's Kickin Chicken, lil Oregano, and Paprika for color:

1_chicken_zps835b0c99.jpg

Close up shot:

2_chicken_zps75c68224.jpg

The 2.75 lb baby back slab was dusted with KC Masterpiece seasoning (no pic as we have a 10 pic limit)

About 5 lbs of red potatoes, diced and mixed up with EVOO, garlic powder, Cavenders, Paprika, and Parmesan. They went in the oven for about 45 minutes at 400, mixing up every 15 minutes.

4_potatoes_zps467b682a.jpg

Here's the setup for the cook, my blue Performer and a OTG I picked up for $20 off Craigslist. My wife thinks I'm
nuts, as I already own the 6 burner Platinum Summit, and a Genesis Gold C, along with old blue. I'm sure many of you here have this "problem" lol. I usually do this by the garden, but the wife and my 3 and 6 year old were tending to it.

5_setup_zpsd03799a6.jpg

The plan is to do the 8 chicken halves on the Performer, seared then indirect with some pecan smoke. Did these in 2
rounds, due to space constraints, and it gave me more time to drink my beer of course:

6_chickenabouttogoon_zpsb9890a39.jpg

A quick sear, and they're moved over, and continue at 375:

7_chickenaftersear_zps121d292a.jpg

Some time passes and the first round of chicken is close, sauced with Head Country:

8_chickenalmostdone_zpsa391aa0c.jpg

On the OTG, I'm rolling about 300, along with an apple chunk or two. Just over an hour in:

9_ribsgettingthere_zps5acae213.jpg

First round of chicken is done:

10_chickendone_zps360befa1.jpg

The sausage was done on the hot side on the Performer while the chicken was indirect. Ribs and sausage done:

11_ribsandsausagedone_zpsf1e5fb8c.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Martin

Last edited:
Incredible first cook posted, Martin! You cooked this much for 8 people? You're a generous coworker/friend. Great looking food. Thanks for sharing. Keep them coming.

Chicken looks GREAT!
Ribs look EXCELLENT!!
Sausage looks PERFECT!!!

Martin, I'm HUNGRY! and I work with you :D you know, the "quiet" one in "that" desk.... you know!

Looks great! I don't do that anymore 'cause they never leave! Whenever I start up the smoker I get the next doors asking if they can help with something. :)

Yeah....I sit next to Jim. I'm pretty quiet too. It's ok that you don't remember me. Just don't forget to invite me over.
Chicken looks GREAT!
Ribs look EXCELLENT!!
Sausage looks PERFECT!!!

Martin, I'm HUNGRY! and I work with you :D you know, the "quiet" one in "that" desk.... you know!

Great cook Martin - a real 'smorgasQ'. Your co-workers have a great fringe benefit working there...

Regards,

John

Hey, a fellow Chicagoan! Well, I am a suburbanite. Looks great Martin! Where do you work? I want to get a job there! LOL!

That is a lot of fine looking cooking!!!. My guess not a lot of work got done after eating all that fine grub because everyone was in a food coma!!!

That looks incredible! As Red Forman's character from That 70's Show would say "Martin's coworkers don't call it work, they call it super-wonderful-crazy-fun-time!"

Thank you everyone! I appreciate the kind words - now that fall is coming, that's when I especially love to get the grills/smoker out, and get a fire going, so I'll be sharing some more pics, hopefully with the digital SLR and not my phone. There's a lot of great pics on this site, and you guys have some mad skills, including cooking and photography just to name a few.

Thanks for the warm welcome, again.

Martin

Back