Kettle temp controller

T Perkins

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone been lucky enough to try one of these out yet?

I have one. It works well. I have cooked a pork shoulder (9 hours rock steady at 250F), a 11-pound rib roast and chicken (on rotisserie). All cooks were held within 10 degrees F of what I set. One issue I did have was when I used some cheap off-brand briquet that produced a lot of ash and blocked the bottom vents causing the temps to go down. I moved the sweeps to clear it up and the cook temps went right back up to the set temp. My understanding is that if you overshoot the temp, it can take awhile to come back down. The app is OK. Seems to loose connection from the Wi-Fi sometimes. Oh, and the ash pan seems to be on the small side, so I clean it out after every cook. Much better than my temp-topper which needed some babysitting depending on the ambient temps. I am glad I got it and plan on using it more this coming summer.

I have it. I have used it for two cooks so far and I love it.
The only learning curve I've experienced is where to set the vent.
I've only ever seen it recommended slightly open, 1/4 open, or full open.
Which are guides in the broadest sense. I set the vent to 1/4 and I get some pretty wild swings. Keep it around half and it's rock steady for me.

That's one of the wonders of positive ventilation. Leave the stack/vent just barely open, and let the fan provide the draft. You want to keep it closed enough that the fan does have to do a little work to keep the temp constant. If the vent is more open, it'll draft on it's own, and the fan will barely have to spin occasionally. This will lead to larger temp swings.

I use a PID controller with an automaticall controlled fan & damper assembly on a far larger smoker, and people are surprised at how little I have to open the stack to maintain 1 degree F +/- in the cook chamber, with nearly 100 lbs. of food.

I may be old slow and full of fleas, but the only automated grilling device I have is my Camp Chef and it's as basic as you can get monitored by a Thermoworks Smoke.
All my other grills are manually controlled by me and that's the way I like it.
When I do a great cook, it was me that did it not some app or electronic gizmo and if it comes out bad it was one of the dog's fault.
But to each their own, if it floats your boat go for it and best wishes. :giggle:

Back