It's Slow-Cooker Time

Here's one that I think looks good although I haven't tried it yet too busy getting operations on my feet and completely and I do mean completely cleaning the whole interior of our house. After having all the old tile and carpet replaced. Didn't know that they had to grind down the old kwick set that held the old tile down. The whole interior of the house has a thick layer of fine dust like flour. Walls, drapes, windows, blinds, cabinets, inside the cabinets, all the kitchen utensils, clothes in the closets, every square inch is covered in concrete dust. Been at it two weeks now and still not done.
It was bad enough to give me acute bronchitis and send to the ER for help, I couldn't breath and that was with a mask on.
But enough of my woes, sorry to get off track here.

I love using my two inside Weber's in bad weather and hot summer days ( been 100 here three days already)
This recipe takes a few extra steps, but I think it may be worth it.

View attachment 29915

Beef and Broccoli Slow Cooker

Serves: 6 servings

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. canola oil
2-lb. chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 2-inch pieces
¼ cup soy sauce
¼ cup orange juice
1 tsp powdered ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of cayenne pepper
3 cups broccoli florets
¼ tsp sesame oil
2 Tbsp. cold water
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 Tbsp. orange marmalade
Hot cooked rice (optional)
2 green onions, sliced
Toasted sesame seeds (optional)*

Instructions
Add canola oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Wait for oil to get very hot. Add chuck roast and brown on all sides.
When the beef is cool enough to handle, slice it into 3-inch chunks. Place chunks in slow cooker.
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, 3 Tbsp. of the orange juice, ginger, garlic, and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture over beef in slow cooker.
Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Turn heat to high setting (if using low) and add broccoli and sesame oil. Stir well to combine. Cook 15 additional minutes.
Using a slotted spoon, remove beef chunks from slow cooker. Using 2 forks, break meat into bite-sized pieces into a large bowl. Add broccoli; cover and keep warm.
Combine the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir well to combine.
Strain cooking liquid through a strainer and into a small saucepan. Add cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for an additional 2 minutes. Stir in orange marmalade and remaining 1 Tbsp. orange juice.
Divide rice into 6 bowls. Top with beef and broccoli mixture and drizzle sauce on top. Sprinkle with green onions and sesame seeds.
Rich, going to give this another try. Cooking in our kitchen now. Wish us good luck! lol

(For National Orange Juice Day)

Rich, sorry to say we did not like it. I don't think it is a good recipe for the slow cooker. The beef was just too dry and the soy sauce made it look like it was burnt. Couldn't taste any orange either.

Look what I found in the "Make this Week" folder. I forgot it was for the slow cooker. lol DH is taking the pork butt out of the freezer now. He considers this his night off. lol

Hawaiian Pulled Pork Lettuce Wraps

1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 lbs.)
1 tsp. rubbed sage
1 tsp. salt, divided
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 can (20 oz.) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
2 TB. minced fresh gingerroot
18 Boston or Bibb lettuce leaves
Thinly sliced green onions, optional

1. Rub roast with sage, 1/2 tsp. salt and pepper. Place in a 4 or 5 qt. slow cooker. Top with pineapple and ginger. Cook, covered, on low until meat is tender, 6-8 hours.
2. Remove roast, shred with 2 forks. Strain cooking juices. Reserve pineapple and 1 cup juices; discard remaining juices. Skim fat from reserved juices. Return pork and cooking juices to slow cooker; stir in remaining 1/2 tsp. salt. Heat through. Serve in lettuce leaves with reserved pineapple and, if desired, green onions. Makes 6 servings

Source: S & D mag. June 2019

I won't post any I have until I try them and that won't be until Christmas. I bought a new digital slow cooker that Amazon had on sale seeing that the one I'm using now is over thirty years old and seems to be running hot. But the real reason is Mrs. Santa Claus said I can't open it till Christmas and I have to look surprised. :giggle:

Funny thing. I don't own a slow cooker. Used to and gave them away. Once I discovered the joy of owning my Le Creuset dutch oven. Far more versatile than a single use appliance. But, I do love the art of the slow cooker. Just do it with a multi tasker as Alton Brown says

Funny thing. I don't own a slow cooker. Used to and gave them away. Once I discovered the joy of owning my Le Creuset dutch oven. Far more versatile than a single use appliance. But, I do love the art of the slow cooker. Just do it with a multi tasker as Alton Brown says
We used to have six slow cookers; notice I said the slow cooker was 30+ years old. Back in the day when we lived in our big house (2900 sq ft) in Prescott, we used to have a Christmas party every year for our friends and neighbors. We would have 100+ people coming to the party, we would have a full spread of food from Appetizers, Turkey, Ham, Roast Beef, Cheese Trays, Cookies, Pies Etc. We made it all and we used steam trays and slow cookers to keep it all warm. This one is the last of those six I keep it basically for keeping things warm. My instant pot is also a slow cooker and is much better at slow cooking, but unfortunately it sometimes isn't large enough for what I want to do. I also have a lot of recipes from years ago that I only do in the slow cooker, so I guess I will always have one around.

Want something a little bit different this Thanksgiving? Here 'tis. :giggle:

Cranberry-Orange Turkey Breast

1/2 cup orange marmalade
16 oz. can whole-berry cranberry sauce
2 tsp. grated orange peel
3 lb. boneless, skinless turkey breast

1. Combine marmalade, cranberries and orange peel in a bowl.
2. Place turkey breast in slow cooker and pour half of cranberry mixture over turkey.
3. Cover and cook on high 2 1/2 hours or on high 1 hour and then low 5 to 6 hours, until turkey juices run clear.
4. Heat remaining half of cranberry mixture in microwave at HIGH 30 seconds or until warm.
5. Remove turkey to platter and allow to rest for 15 minutes before slicing. Serve with cranberry sauce.

Source: "Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook"

Last edited:
Looks interesting Joan. I copied the recipe won't do it for Thanksgiving, but I'll watch for sales after on turkey breasts and try it later on.
Thanks for sharing it.
I'll watch for your review of it after T-Day.

Last edited:
Looks interesting Joan. I copied the recipe won't do it for Thanksgiving, but I'll watch for sales after on turkey breasts and try it later on.
Thanks for sharing it.
I'll watch for your review of it after T-Day.
:giggle: Never said we were going to make it. lol

I know this is going in the "Make Soon" folder. Yummy!!!!!!!!

Apricot-Curry Meatballs

2 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 lb. ground pork
1 lb. ground beef
1 12 oz. jar apricot preserves
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup cider vinegar
4 tsp. grated fresh ginger
2 tsp. curry powder
Chopped green onions (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 375F. In a large bowl combine the first six ingredients. Add pork and beef, mix well. Shape mixture into 36 meatballs; place in a shallow baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until meatballs are cooked through (160F). Drain off fat.
2. Transfer meatballs to a 3 1/2 to 4 qt. slow cooker. For sauce, in a small bowl stir together the remaining ingredients. Pour over meatballs.
3. Cover and cook on low 3 to 4 hours or on high 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Serve immediately or keep warm, covered, on warm or low up to 2 hours. If desired, top with chopped green onion. Makes 36 servings.

Source: Slow Cooker Favorites Volume 5

Yep, it's slow cooker time for sure. Just purchased a new more modern slow cooker as mine is over 30 years old and is cooking hot. Got a screaming deal on Amazon Black Friday sale. The new one is digital and has a timer and auto keep warm feature. Been gathering some new recipes for it. Also purchased an air fryer which should be an interesting new toy. Got a bag of Costco's wings in the freezer and a few air fryer wing recipes to try it out.
All the grills except the pellet grill and the E320 gasser are in hibernation for the Winter, just too cold for me to be out there anymore.

We’ve had several slow cookers, and most recently made a pot roast with potatoes and veggies that was really tender. Over the years we’ve gone through three slow cookers. I don’t know that we will buy another if this one dies. For whatever reason, I have never been comfortable leaving the house with the electric range going, with a dutch oven on it. Yet I‘ve had no problem leaving a slow cooker on all day while we were at work. I’m not sure if that‘s rational:)

We’ve had several slow cookers, and most recently made a pot roast with potatoes and veggies that was really tender. Over the years we’ve gone through three slow cookers. I don’t know that we will buy another if this one dies. For whatever reason, I have never been comfortable leaving the house with the electric range going, with a dutch oven on it. Yet I‘ve had no problem leaving a slow cooker on all day while we were at work. I’m not sure if that‘s rational:)
I don't know, but it sure sound practical. ;)

After T-Day diner our black lab Abby was dead tired and full of turkey. She curled up on her pillow and didn't move for four hours.
Speaking of recipes, I discovered how to make charcoal briquets in the oven. You take heat and eat biscuits and leave them in the oven for two hours at 325 and vola charcoal briquets.
You're welcome101_7545.JPG
101_7626 (1).JPG

:love: :eek:

and this one for no slow-cooker recipes :cry:
Okay Joan I get the hint. :rolleyes: This is the first one I'm going to try after Christmas in the new slow cooker.

Bacon Beef Barley Soup Recipe

Ingredients

4 bacon strips, chopped
1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
4 medium red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, cut in half lengthwise
1 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup medium pearl barley
2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes with basil, oregano and garlic, undrained
1 jar (12 ounces) home-style beef gravy
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Mashed potatoes, optional

Directions

In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. In the drippings, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain.
2. In a 5-qt. slow cooker, layer the potatoes, carrots, corn and barley. Top with beef mixture and bacon. Combine the broth, tomatoes, gravy and pepper; pour over top (do not stir).
3. Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Stir before serving. Serve over mashed potatoes if desired. Yield: 7 servings

And this will be the first air fryer recipe

Air Fryer Balsamic Glazed Chicken Wings

Ingredients

Chicken:

cooking spray
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon paprika
2 pounds chicken wings, split and tips discarded
Glaze:

⅓ cup water
⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons chili sauce (such as Heinz®)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon water
¼ teaspoon cornstarch

Garnish:
1 green onion, thinly sliced
¼ teaspoon toasted sesame seeds

Directions

Make the chicken: Preheat an air fryer to 380 degrees F (190 degrees C). Coat the fryer basket with cooking spray.

OVER

11/13/22

Whisk baking powder, salt, pepper, and paprika together in a small bowl. Transfer to a resealable bag. Add some wings to the bag, seal, and shake until coated. Remove wings to a plate, shaking off any excess powder. Repeat until all wings are coated.

Lightly spray wings with cooking spray. Place into the prepared air fryer basket and cook for 20 minutes, shaking and flipping wings halfway through. Increase the temperature to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) and continue to cook until wings are crispy, about 5 minutes more. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may have to cook in batches.

While the wings are cooking, make the glaze: Combine 1/3 cup water, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, honey, chili sauce, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a low boil and cook until sauce has reduced, about 15 minutes. Whisk together 1 teaspoon water and cornstarch in a small bowl; pour into the saucepan and stir until sauce has thickened.

Place crispy wings into a large bowl, drizzle with sauce, and toss until well coated. Garnish with sliced green onion and sesame seeds, and serve immediately.

Last edited:
Rich, THANK YOU!!!!!! Printed and filed in "Make Soon" folder. Especially really like the wing recipe. I love balsamic vinegar!!!!

Back