Italian Dinner

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
First of all this wasn't grilled or barbecued but the main dish was cooked outside on my two Weber's so what the heck. This is a recipe we have cooked indoors countless time but I thought it would be fun to cook outside. Here is the assembly line for the chicken. Seasoned flour, egg wash, breadcrumbs with Parmesan Cheese and basil.

image.jpg2_zpsjv0v34gf.jpg

Here are the ingredients for the marinara sauce.

image.jpg1_zpsj9xm5utb.jpg

Starting the sauce and then simmering.

image.jpg3_zpswnyagm8h.jpg

image.jpg4_zpssryc1u5e.jpg

Browning the chicken in batches.

image.jpg5_zpsjxtxwtda.jpg

Assembling the dinner and then ready to cover and put back on the grill.

image.jpg6_zpscdubnqef.jpg

image.jpg7_zpstlfdx37d.jpg

image.jpg8_zpsbb7ufcuu.jpg

Off the grill after 50 minutes and left to rest and set up.

image.jpg9_zpsglbjnibw.jpg

Plated pictures.

image.jpg1_zpsha8eoqg7.jpg

image.jpg2_zpscqfrcykz.jpg

I have to say preparing this inside is much easier but it was fun and I got thumbs up from the family. Thanks for looking!

This is a great looking dish. We're having chicken parm tonight, but I like this better. Never seen it made into like a "chicken lasagna" dish all covered with cheese. I'm sold.

Boy, could I go for a plate of that. Fantastic cook, beautifully presented Robert. Good old Carlo Rossi, I've enjoyed a few jugs of that too.

Ok Mr Robert....I need a few more details cause this looks freaking amazing...come on don't hold out on us???

Great looking cook buddy!!!

Thank you very much for the nice compliments.
Morgan and J Brouwer - I never hold out on any recipe. I have learned so much from everyone on this site that I am honored to be asked.

The pictures pretty much say how to make this recipe.

Pound the chicken breasts flat and bread them like in picture one. Then make a marinara which the ingredients are pictured in picture two.

Then fry the breaded chicken to golden brown. Cast iron works best.

Then ladle about a third of your marinara in the bottom of your pan and arrange your chicken overlapping on top of the sauce. Then sprinkle Parmesan cheese on the chicken. Next cover your chicken with the rest of the marinara. Then put sliced mozzarella on top of the whole deal. Then sprinkle that with a good portion of more Parmesan cheese.

Cover, bake for about 40 minutes until cheese melts and it is warmed through. If cooking indoors, then remove foil and put under broiler until cheese is bubbly and browns somewhat. Then sprinkle chopped Italian parsley on top and let rest for a bit, 15 minutes or so. Then carefully remove the breasts from the pan and serve with sides.

We first started cooking this at least 10 years ago and our original inspiration came from "The Joy of Cooking" Chicken Parmesan recipe although we have made our own tweaks over the years. If you want any more info feel free to send me a message. Glad you liked it!

Beautiful post, Robert! Extra points for dating the vino: my food handler, card carrying wife approves mightily... :)

Back