I never thought I'd own a gas grill

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I never thought I'd own a gas grill until today.
My wife had taken the garbage up to the dumpsters and came back asking me if I wanted a Weber gas grill that was sitting up there. I figured I could use it for some of the parts if nothing else.
I was shocked when I seen it sitting there. It looked like new other than the grime and grease. I can only guess that one of the seasonal residents upgraded to a new bigger more gooder grill, or was leaving for the year and didnt want to drag it back home. I rolled that sucker right down the road back to our place.

Judging from the molding stamp on the inside of the handle (8/00) I am guessing this is a 2000 or 2001 Weber Genesis Silver A. No tank, but I have one for my camp stove that can pull double duty.
It looks as if has been covered its entire life as there is no rust or fading.
I'll be spending the next couple of weeks cleaning it and getting it ready to cook on.

20150816_161049.jpg

Attachments

• mIyLOJs.jpg
    mIyLOJs.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Can't beat free, Tim! Nice score there! That's how I got my second performer.....driving by, it was sitting there at the end of the driveway with a pile of other trash for pick up. Yours looks to be in great shape, and, even though it's the two burner model, should be a very versatile and long-lived tool. Congrats!

Rich

Nice score Tim. If you want to pin down the actual model year, remove the 2 screws from the end cap on the right side. Pull off the burner knobs and lift up the control panel. you should see a sticker/plate that has both the exact model as well as the serial number. The serial should start with 2 letters. Cross reference to the date code list http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/wsmage.html to figure out the model year.

Great score, sometimes gassers are real handy if your just doing a 5 minute cook such as burgers, dogs, BCBs, etc. No wait time and no wasted coals.

Thank you Dave. I was going to ask where the serial number was hidden on these. It is a DA (2001) I did register it with Weber this morning.
So far the only thing I see needing replacement is the Flavorizer Bars.

20150817_084207.jpg

The grates are filthy but solid

20150817_084143.jpg

I'd hook up propane, light it up and get it really hot. Let it heat up for about 30 minutes. Then you'll be able to just wipe that crud off with a wire brush.

Great find!

Another Tim

You're welcome Tim. yeah, those flavorizers are shot. When I need to replace some, I (and many others around here) buy them from a guy named RCPlanebuyer on Ebay. His are heavier gauge Stainless than those from Weber and they cost less. There are other third party bars out there that cost even less, but I don't have any experience with them. If you want, I can give you his direct contact info.

You're welcome Tim. yeah, those flavorizers are shot. When I need to replace some, I (and many others around here) buy them from a guy named RCPlanebuyer on Ebay. His are heavier gauge Stainless than those from Weber and they cost less. There are other third party bars out there that cost even less, but I don't have any experience with them. If you want, I can give you his direct contact info.

Dave, I have yet to remove anything from the grill so I have not actually examined the bars yet. Time will tell. I already have a set of rcplanebuyer's bars on my watch list. I probably will not get a chance to work on this grill until the weekend.

I only had a few minutes this morning to do another examination of this gasser.

First off, I need some way to mount the propane tank to the grill. The original scale is missing and I really do not want to pay close to $30 for a replacement. Anyone have any ideas?

20150818_101543.jpg

Second, the flavorizer bars are shot. Once I removed the grates and pulled them out they started crumbling in my hands. Easy fix, I already have a set on my eBay watch list from rcplanebuyer.

20150818_101929.jpg

The gas tubes look clean and solid so I should be ok there.

20150818_101739.jpg

I did find some rust on the lower frame, but it looks like minor surface rust that should clean right up and be taken care of with some paint.

20150818_102112.jpg
20150818_102119.jpg

How easy do you think it is going to be to exchange this propane tank? :rolleyes:

20150818_105732.jpg

I picked up a fresh propane tank on the way home last night and hooked it up. The burners fired up on the first try and had perfect flames.
I did a 20 high heat burn this morning and maxed out the thermometer. Getting ready to take the whole grill apart this weekend for a deep cleaning.

Wow, nice score! While you're at it, you should replace the igniter for peace of mind. Part #7509 for the whole kit, like $12 total, takes 5 min to install.

Looks like your control panel is super clean too, you sure did luck out! I read somewhere that people use the flathead screwdriver in eyeglass repair kits to punch through any clogged burner tubes. Just advice incase you have any clogs.

Back