I half to admit, The Smokey Joe...

Todd and Dustin;
I picked up a bag of lump from the super market, today (Kroger's lump, of all things:rolleyes:) and gave the SJS another run. This time I grilled a couple of 'burgers of fresh sausage from my favorite butcher shop. I had planned to take pictures but my battery died right in the middle of things (that'll teach me not to check things, huh?:(). At any rate, the lump burned quite well and by slipping the top back a bit, it got hot enough to do a good job on the sausage burgers (they were scrumptious). I'll have to fine tune a bit but I think it's going to work just fine (thanks to your excellent tips).

I can see me using the SJS and JJ a good bit in the near future for small cooks. They are so often "just right" for the job at hand...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Good work Robert. I always suggest people use there grills for at least 6months before they come to an opinion. You will be crushing some thrown down on that thing in no time

Last edited:
Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post

I use my JJ as a smoker and a grill and it does as advertised with very little fuel consumption. With that said the capacity is not there for larger cooks so that's why I have a 18.5 WSM and the performer plus my E320 gasser for those times we have a no burn restriction including charcoal grills during the fire season.
I guess one size doesn't fit all but they all work very well when needed.
Also what Tony R. said like the wok idea got to try that!

I hear ya Joe! But if you could only have one cooker for the rest of your life and it was the last cooker on earth. Which one would you chose?

Without a doubt my performer!

Robert,
That slipping the lid back a bit is a great way to get more heat out of these smaller cookers. Since I have the older style JJ with the side vents it's the only way to get high heat for direct cooks. Never used lump in my smaller kettles. Might have to try it out.

Robert,
That slipping the lid back a bit is a great way to get more heat out of these smaller cookers. Since I have the older style JJ with the side vents it's the only way to get high heat for direct cooks. Never used lump in my smaller kettles. Might have to try it out.

Lump in my opinion gets way hotter and quicker then KB. It will also choke out faster as well. With how small the Joe's are you can control heat pretty quickly. I can go from 500 @ the grate down to 250ish in less then ten minutes.When I use the Joe as a "grill" I will only put a hand full in the bottom, then lay a 1/2 lit chimney on top. More air flow from the bottom the better. I don't want to turn this into a charcoal debate, but you will have a little more control with lump. Plus it just burns way cleaner and taste better. I've never really trusted charcoal that comes from a company that makes plastic and bleach.

They are versatile cookers. Here's a 16 gal drum body sitting on the SJ.

P1070259_zps590d1d1a.jpg

Well played George! Never thought about a 16gal. Genius! Would like to hear more about that setup. Another plus for the Joe's

Here's that 16 gal smoker body set up. I only use this set up for hanging meat.
I also had to beef up the legs for stability....used aluminum bar stock, bent to shape.

P1060995_zpscec37175.jpg

Wow! Thanks for sharing George. Great picture showing it sitting on top of the SJ. I have a couple of these drums at work...think I can see this set up in my future.

Gave The SJ some more love this weekend at a buddy's house.

Tuna,salmon,asparagus, broccoli, roasted corn salad,Artisan bread (pre done in the Primo) and a heap of fruit. All done on the salt block. FYI, I could of passed on the fruit done on the block. A nice screaming hot Skillet gives it much better taste and color.

IMAG2084_zps55bb5516.jpg

IMAG2088_zpsabd296ff.jpg

IMAG2090_zps47202340.jpg

IMAG2080_zpsd7dd324b.jpg

Smashed 3 of these and had to put a helmet on! Stuff is amazing and super potent!

IMAG2078_zps11341703.jpg

That looks like something I would like to try if I can find the right drum.
Here's that 16 gal smoker body set up. I only use this set up for hanging meat.
I also had to beef up the legs for stability....used aluminum bar stock, bent to shape.

P1060995_zpscec37175.jpg

I like my SJ. Great for taking camping/picnics etc. (I like the green one, & the ivory one, & the............)!

24n01v8.jpg

Back