Huge windstorm this evening

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So early this evening I happened to be in basement when wife came in. She noted things were crazy looking outside. So I am thinking WTH? It was nice and sunny, warm and nice when I came back from seeing little granddaughter. I look out on the deck and see the Wolf skating across pushing the little glass patio table and the only thing that stopped it from going down the stairs was the gas line! In nearly 30 years here I have never seen such a strong wind from that direction perform that kind of feat. That thing weighs close to 300lbs!

LOL. THose popcorn storms rolled through my area mid to late afternoon. But they were not quite that strong. We got some quick showers and some good wind gusts, but they must have strengthened up some by the time they got down your way.

I look out on the deck and see the Wolf skating across pushing the little glass patio table and the only thing that stopped it from going down the stairs was the gas line ..... That thing weighs close to 300lbs!

Does that grill have wheel locks?
If so, I would guess they were not locked.
Also, would the wind have knocked it over
if the wheels would have been locked?

I don't know. This is the first time anything like this ever happened. It does have locks and I did lock one (locks on all 4) and it did not move again. But, I still don't know WTH this thing was. It came on fierce and strong out of the blue and quit the same way

What direction was it blowing? Was there a press conference in Springfield? :D

Periodically out here on the steppes, straight line winds will spring up. Several years ago, 70-80 mph, and did a real number on on standing crops.

Appeared to come out of due north. No idea on speed but damn to just move that grill was something I never saw before

Earlier this month, I had my King Kong bbq cover blow off my Genesis. No idea how that happened since, as the wind would have to blow under the cover carry it up and over the bbq to blow it off. Wicked winds.

I had my Performer Platinum go for a fly, and land in the yard. The lid was pressed in at the handle down about 4 inches, and the table top cracked. The good news is, I was able to carefully tap out the lid with a rubber mallet and it actually looks pretty good. I thought it was a goner. The table, not so much. Ergh. The 435 has blocks by the wheels so that was fine, along with the 4000. The rest of the stuff was in the garage, so only the Performer was nicked.

It’s been dry and very windy in New England.

I saw a couple of grills that went off the decks.

I think a dog cable or coated cable secured to a post or joist looped through the frame might keep it from moving.

Ain't nobody walking off with that Wolf. Never even concerned myself with securing them as in 28 years living in this house I have never seen the wind come that strong, that sudden and from that direction to accomplish what happened last night

Ain't nobody walking off with that Wolf. Never even concerned myself with securing them as in 28 years living in this house I have never seen the wind come that strong, that sudden and from that direction to accomplish what happened last night
I’d be more concerned with it moving and smashing a patio door or going off the deck

Yep fo sure. If it hadn't been for the gas line it would have gone down the stairs and my deck is up high due to my sloped yard and exposed basement

I remember seeing posted here that Vieluxe from the Chicago area that the owner said had blown over damaging the knobs. I was hard pressed to imagine anything short of a tropical storm being able to do that. I am starting to learn, though, that the Midwest has its own wind tricks up its sleeve! We seem to have many very windy days here in Central Indiana. Much stronger than the ocean breezes I was previously familiar with.

I remember seeing posted here that Vieluxe from the Chicago area that the owner said had blown over damaging the knobs. I was hard pressed to imagine anything short of a tropical storm being able to do that. I am starting to learn, though, that the Midwest has its own wind tricks up its sleeve! We seem to have many very windy days here in Central Indiana. Much stronger than the ocean breezes I was previously familiar with.
I think the big problem is sometimes people put grills on patios and porches without railings on them And the grill moves a little bit and falls over the edge on that porch and then tips over. But yeah 40 or 50 mile an hour wind gusts in a thunderstorm Is not uncommon

Living in the mountains we are used to high winds all the time. Yesterday was the first day this year that I was comfortable grilling with charcoal, no winds at all. Normally we have winds in the 15 to 25 mph with gust up to 50 mph on a daily basis. I've had the patio furniture on both patios rearranged many times but never any issues with the grills.

We get some crazy winds at times out here east of the Divide along the Front Range in CO -- 60-90 mph fairly common.

Couple years ago my Silver B with a snug no vent cover ended up on the grass in the middle of my yard about 30 feet from where my patio ends. Not having the wheels locked (duh!) likely help it get moving. But at some point it was clearly airborne like Dorothy's house. Broke all the plastic parts but the metal was unharmed.

My covers since then are loosely attached and extra vented.

We had a straight line wind storm sustained over 65+mph last year. Wife and I live on top of a hill here in CT, took out many trees near the road. We have the oldest tree in the neighborhood because our house was first built here in the new development. It miraculously survived standing, but was certainly moving. The town was here for hours with a crew of chainsaws, chippers, dump trucks etc. When winds are sustained that fast, that's when things do a dorthy and I get concerned

Back