How far ahead do you plan?

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
The other day was the first time in a long time that we had a weeks worth of recipes picked out. We used to do it a lor more often, but, :rolleyes::unsure:?
And, just like we used to do, Wed. is set aside as the "Day to clean out the refrigerator". Then the next 4 days are planned. Thursday is Brett's Carne Asada (I think that is the name of the recipe). Friday, it's "Thai Glazed Salmon", Saturday is "Soy-Glazed Chicken Skewers with Green Onions" and Sunday is "Bacon-Wrapped Spam Bites". Not sure if that is breakfast, lunch or dinner.:giggle:

We should be planning farther ahead. But this working for a living is for the birds.....

Having said that, planning dinner for her family guests next weekend. Dinner right now is planned to be grilled steaks, and unfortunately, will probably have to go get them tonight.

We try to plan a week in advance. We check to see if we have everything we need, if not we make a list and go to the store within a day or so. Doing this has greatly cut back on our grocery bill as we only buy what we need.
The exception is proteins we watch for sales and stock up and build our menus on what meats we have in the freezers this has saved a lot also as we don't pay the higher prices of non sale proteins.

Due to time shortage, we did not have the recipe that was scheduled for tonight. Instead we did Wed. clean out the fridge. Here's hoping DH can make it tomorrow night. It is "Reuben Meatloaf" posted here 6-6-12 by Timothy Hoffman.

I only plan the big dinners, like our Sunday dinners or if we’re having company.

Otherwise I keep a well run pantry and proteins on hand and specific veggies are common.

Bell peppers, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, eggplant, green cabbage, cucumber, assorted tomatoes, celery, cilantro, Italian leaf parsley and avocados. These are our goto’s in a consistent rotation/price availability.

The freezer always has chicken, pork, lots of fish and we’ll add in fresh proteins once a week per special dinner requests.

I buy proteins on price first and then needs so that the freezer remains well stocked.

I’ll prep proteins 2-3 days before for defrost with an idea of what I’m cooking/making.

We usually decide what we’re going have for dinner that morning. That way I can lay out something to thaw. I rarely have everything so I go to the grocery nearly daily. The exception is brisket, whole polutry, or pulled pork. They get layed out earlier to thaw.

planning is usually a freezer pull that day with veggies or pantry items on hand, but I'm fortunate to have a Safeway grocery store about a mile away if we are missing something.

I'll usually target a weekend for longer smokes or meals that are high prep time.

Can't seem to be consistent with anything. We make a list of what is in the freezer and (suppose to) cross off items as we use them. Then 2 or 3 months later, the list and freezer don't match up. Take everything out of the freezer and start over AGAIN :mad:

Back