High Heat Brisket with Burnt Ends ?

Stephen Hammond

TVWBB Member
Ok Guru's...

I'm going to try a hh brisket tomorrow.

When I take the brisket off to foil....Should I separate the "Point" and continue to cook along side the foiled "flat"? If so, when would I dice the point for burnt end...When its done or about done? If that makes any sense....

Never done a HH brisket but how I do it is cook the whole brisket then when it passes the probe test I pull it off the cooker. From there if its foiled I open the foil up and let it sit on the counter until it reaches 170 degrees internal temp. Its very important to take it out of the foil as soon as its off the cooker. When it reaches 170 I then separate the point from the flat and wrap the point in foil. Then cube the point through a little rub on and put back on the cooker. I put them on from 30 min to an hour. They could be done sooner or take longer I just look at how the fat rendered out. I can't imagine low and slow is too insanely different from HH. Hope that helps.

I did this (incorrectly) a few months ago. Similar to what Cody said, now, I separate the point AFTER the the flat is probe tender. I'd then put point on for about 30 min. to tighten it up and render some of the fat (where it is connected to the flat). Then, I cube big (1.5" if I can) and dip in a sauce that's been diluted by about 1/3 with beef broth. I put in a foil pan and cook for about 45 min, tossing once. I then put undiluted sauce on them and toss. Cook for 30 min and pull.

Back