Here's something new to me

Corey Rogers

TVWBB Member
Hello all, I come seeking advice. A guy I work with recently went on a hunting trip and took down a mountain lion (all legal, and the beast was tagged by the local game warden). He brought the meat back and is asking me to smoke some of it. He was told by others in his hunting party to treat it like pork as far as cooking, but I'm not sure if that will apply to smoking as well. Does anyone have experience with big cats on the WSM? Suggestions for rub/marinade etc? Cook temp? I'm really looking for anything.

I'm off now to scour the interwebs to see if anything is out there.

There's a couple in my neighborhood I'd like to "smoke", but I don't have any recipes.
icon_wink.gif

Tom

There's prolly a few that have enjoyed taking down a nittany lion or two...

Seriously, I would expect it to be leaner than pork butt or shoulder. But looking at the meat can probably discern that. If it is lean, I'd cook it more like pork loin or tenderloin... to an internal temperature of 155 or so.

guys, i dont know the science to back this up but i dont think it is healthy for us humans, to eat animals that eat meat.

There must be a reason why these are not sold in grocery stores.

But if you think it is ok to eat this, by all means, go ahead.

I would be interested to know how it turns out.

elmo

Well, the process has begun. I decided that, since the meat appears so lean, I'd brine if for awhile in a very basic brine (salt, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, a couple oranges) to avoid drying out. I'm gonna try to keep temps lower than I normally would, hopefully in the 215-220 range, as I assume the meat to be tougher than farm raised pork and I want it to go low and slow. I'm going to try a few different rubs, something basic like a little salt, pepper and garlic powder and also try some of the Chris Lilly world champ rub. I might also throw on some Texas rub just to round out things. I'll post pics as the day progresses, and report results when things get done.

It's likely extremely lean meat, so brine away. I know one of the first questions people get asked if they have odd unexplained flu like symptoms at our hospital is if they've eaten any bear meat or things of that nature. I'm too tired just getting off my shift to look it up, but I believe there is some concern for infected meat that can cause illnesses ( not trichinosis, but other oddities). I'd make sure it was taken to 160 before eating any of it personally.

Originally posted by elmo:
guys, i dont know the science to back this up but i dont think it is healthy for us humans, to eat animals that eat meat.

But if you think it is ok to eat this, by all means, go ahead.

I would be interested to know how it turns out.

elmo

One of the reason why you don't find meat-eating animals in the grocery store meat case is because of the cost factors involved in raising them. Raising animals on meat diets is expensive.

I would probably avoid eating any internal organs and/or anything that don't look right.

Let us know how it turns out.

drying out comes from overcooking not high heat, I'm not sure low and slow is the way to go, but I'm only guessing. I wouldn't want you to turn it into jerky (then again it might be the way to go).

it probably has more to do with simple ecology and economy. as you go up the food chain there is relatively less biomass available to the next level. Most biomass in an ecosystem is tied up in plants, next are herbivores, and lastly carnivores. One mountain lion probably need many square miles of foraging area to survive and therefore wouldn't be easily stocked in a supermarket, unlike the herbivores (rabbits and deer that the loin eats).

we do eat ocean going predators all the time. Sharks, tuna, swordfish are all top predators in their ecosystem and also find their way into the supermarkets. Like mountian lions, they are scarce in their ecosystems and as a result are quickly being overfished.

when eating carnivores, you do need to be conscious of biomagnification of things like mercury, which is more of a modern reason why one should avoid eating tuna.

This is awesome! It would be great to tear up some mountain lion.

I would cut off a thick chunk, season it up with garlic, salt, and pepper, and grill it for myself directly over lump charcoal at moderately high temp... Just get the internal temp where you want it and let it rest. This would give you a chance to get a taste of the meat.

I agree with higher temps to avoid lion jerkey... But, if Lion jerkey is all you can make... Send me a few sticks.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST post some pics when you cook this!

Have Fun... I'm jealous.

Today's cougar cook pics

Well, it's all done. As noted above, I brined the meat several hours, then rubbed them with some Chris Lilly rub, some Texas BBQ rub, and some stuff I threw together. All the meat went on at 1PM, and the WSM varied a bit, but ran around 240 for the most part. I used 2 large chunks of apple, and one large of mesquite. When the smallest piece hit 150 internal (around 5 hours) I foiled everything and ran the heat up to 270-280. I took off each piece when it hit 165 (the trichinosis thing got me
icon_wink.gif
) Total cook time for the largest piece, a shoulder probably 5-6 lbs., was around 7 hours.

Overall, my opinion of the finished products is just meh. The meat has a very mild gamey taste, much milder than I thought it would. I went light on all the rubs, so I didn't over do things. There was alot more sinew in the meat, but alot of that may be the lack of butcher shop finesse as well as the difference between wild predator and farm raised piggy.

It was fun to try something completely new, but I don't see mountain lion replacing pulled pork on my table anytime soon, especially given that my wife refuses to even look at the meat, let alone eat any.

Wow. It's not everyday you read about someone smoking cat.

The island I come from has a big cougar population but I never heard of anyone eating them. Shooting the juveniles when they are driven from the family yes, as they get hungry and start eating pets and occasionally attacking people.

Good on you for trying it I guess. Where did the cat come from ?

Back