HeaterMeter v4.0 for RaspberyPi / Standalone

Case prototype! Well, as anticipated, things don't fit quite right.
-- The USB jack has a little white piece on the bottom of it that sticks out 2.5mm which I didn't account for. It pushes the board 1.5mm to the right which makes everything not quite fit together properly.
-- The LED holes are "just the right size", which means the LEDs don't fit into them without an incredible amount of force.
-- The hole for the button is slightly off center.
-- All the puzzle piece edges are cut juuuust too small which gives the edges a little rough finish. It is less than it is in the pictures below. I'm talkin' like 0.5mm or less.

Case prototype! Well, as anticipated, things don't fit quite right.
-- The USB jack has a little white piece on the bottom of it that sticks out 2.5mm which I didn't account for. It pushes the board 1.5mm to the right which makes everything not quite fit together properly.
-- The LED holes are "just the right size", which means the LEDs don't fit into them without an incredible amount of force.
-- The hole for the button is slightly off center.
-- All the puzzle piece edges are cut juuuust too small which gives the edges a little rough finish. It is less than it is in the pictures below. I'm talkin' like 0.5mm or less.

Still looking like a nice case. A few simple modifications and you are good to go. How is the board supported inside the box? Not a bad first try at designing a case. Mine would have probably been circle or something for my first try :)

I'm finding out it isn't so simple! Things are just "not quite right" all over and it is hard to tell what is causing it. I'm constantly turning the parts around and thinking "Now why is that pushing on that?!".

Everything fits in pretty tightly so it could be supported by all the edges of the boards just holding it in place. However, there's two mounting holes in the HeaterMeter board that can be used with some standoffs to mount everything to the top of the case. You can also mount it to the bottom but getting the faceplace off is probably going to be a lot harder than the bottom.

The pieces fit together pretty snug but I'm thinking the whole thing should be glued together with the exception of the bottom and probe jack side which should be put together to make a second piece. Then I think you can glue some standoffs or something into two corners to allow screws to go in. The bottom/side come off together so you can pull out the SD card without unmounting the whole board from the case.

Yeah I think the footprint will stay the same so I can fit all the new pieces in a P1-sized piece of material. It is just annoying because it takes 3 weeks to get parts made.

Hi, I'm new, here because of a search for Raspberry Pi smoker controller ;)

I figgered somebody was already doing it. I currently am using an Arduino for my ghetto sous vide controller (had some 48 hour ribs last night!) and would love to implement the rPi with interface I've seen here. Looks great!

Bryan, if you are looking for anyone to buy-in to a circuit board purchase, I'm in.

I have a std 57cm Weber kettle, and will use the rPi controller on a homemade drum smoker. Wondering if anyone has tried an automated butterfly intake instead of a blower.

James,

Welcome aboard!

Check out this thread for the butterfly valve. Go ahead and post your ideas.

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?355...-Breakout-from-RaspberryPi-LinkMeter-blue-sky

dave
Hi, I'm new, here because of a search for Raspberry Pi smoker controller ;)

I figgered somebody was already doing it. I currently am using an Arduino for my ghetto sous vide controller (had some 48 hour ribs last night!) and would love to implement the rPi with interface I've seen here. Looks great!

Bryan, if you are looking for anyone to buy-in to a circuit board purchase, I'm in.

I have a std 57cm Weber kettle, and will use the rPi controller on a homemade drum smoker. Wondering if anyone has tried an automated butterfly intake instead of a blower.

Mouser is a great company. My order already shipped but I wanted to add something to it. They offered to waive the shipping for me.

With the P1 you can get two units out of the materials?
With the P1 you can get 3/4 of a unit out of the materials, or you can get... wait for it... 3 units out of a P2. 3x PCBs from Mouser, and 3x enclosures from a P2 sheet from Ponoko. Coincidence? I'm hoping the shipping on the P1 is a lot less though because the P2 shipping is a killer: $11. (time passes as I check something) well F me, shipping for a P1 board is $10.33. That's right. $11.93 for materials and laser time, $10.33 to ship it.

would be nice to have an extra compartment for the probes and such after using. Instead of gluing the case together would a locking clasp type thing better in case you need to get inside the unit in the future?

Well the Maverick probes are much bigger than the HeaterMeter case is so they couldn't fit inside but I really like the idea of having some way to store the probes on the device itself because I always feel like I'm gathering 20 parts when I'm setting up the grill. The idea behind making the first HeaterMeter was that I wouldn't have to bring too many parts to the grill so having them integrated in some way would be awesome. Someone make that!

I don't want to glue the whole thing shut, just glue 4 sides together, then the other 2 sides together. The two assembled parts would then be held together with either a magnet or screw or two.

All my parts should be arriving in the next two weeks. Then a week or so to build it ( I like to take my time doing a little here and there.) Then it will be time for a case in a few weeks. I'll either give it a shot in the dark and create my own or have one of yours made.

My parts are here and boards are in the mail. I ordered a set of digital calipers and will take a crack at this once assembled.

My parts are here and boards are in the mail. I ordered a set of digital calipers and will take a crack at this once assembled.

Did you substitute some stuff? Mouser and digi both had parts that were out of stock until later this month. Mouser actually shipped my parts to me yesterday, just waiting on digi-key. I already have the LCD so saved a few dollars that way.

I used some of the subs that Bryan suggested and remembered that I still had the DC jack from my original linkmeter build that I never used.

Boards came last night and I got the heatermeterPi up and running. This thing is so much more responsive than the router based version. The wifi works great and I'm getting started on designing a case with blender. I should hopefully have a prototype designed in the next few days. Bryan, thank you for all of your hard work. This thing is great. If you don't mind, I would like to use that graphic logo you put on the silk screen and incorporate it into the case design. If that's ok, could I get a copy of the graphic file for the logo?

Boards came last night and I got the heatermeterPi up and running. This thing is so much more responsive than the router based version. The wifi works great and I'm getting started on designing a case with blender. I should hopefully have a prototype designed in the next few days. Bryan, thank you for all of your hard work. This thing is great. If you don't mind, I would like to use that graphic logo you put on the silk screen and incorporate it into the case design. If that's ok, could I get a copy of the graphic file for the logo?

wow you got it soldered up fast. Don't know if I have the patience to do it all in one shot although I'd like to get it finished quickly so I can either try my hand at designing a case or just use one of the cases being made here. I'm afraid my case will look like puzzle piece by the time I'm done.

My parts should arrive early next week and I'm set to go.

Back