Has anyone tried bacon burgers?

Noah.Huffmaster

TVWBB Member
Tried a recipe on the grill where hamburgers were made from 50% lean hamburger meat (like 98/2) and 50% bacon. I was wondering if anyone has tried these or something similar on a smoker?

They turned out great on the grill. So it's gotta be better on the smoker. Just a word of advice when grinding the bacon put it in the freezer until almost frozen otherwise it will get mushy in the grinder or food processor.

Wow, 50% bacon seems extreme but really good. I've made burgers with around 3 slices per half pounder and cheese in the middle and they were really good. I think I'd grill them rather than smoke them. Maybe make some smoked tomato ketchup (so easy and so good) to get that flavor.

There are restaurants here in the southern Cal called Slater's 50/50 which is just that, burgers made from half ground bacon, half ground meat. Yummy. They also have traditional burgers and other food too.

50% bacon seems like a lot, but I have to try it at least a couple of times. It sounds delicious. But then I think when I eat bacon it is not topped
with any condiments, so what do I put on this burger? Then I think of the deep fried bacon that was popular a few years ago and ask myself
hmmm, how about 1/2 ground chuck, 1/4 deep fried bacon and 1/4 deep fried onions. Condiment problem solved...no condiments with this one.

Not that great

I prefer to have a crispy couple of slices on top of my burger. If it has 50% bacon it should be smoky enough without putting the burger on the smoker. I do like to put crispy bits of bacon and peppers and such in smoked meatloaf.

Love me a nice fatty with all that bacon on the outside too.

Is it just coincidence or are you the restaurant entrepreneur, Ryan? Sounds delicious Noah, but not real healthy.

Last edited:
Just coincidental. And I do agree they're good but not great. I once had there 100% bacon burger, about a third the way through and I was on overload and didn't finish. I was worried my heart might stop before I was done!!

I do my bacon burgers like this on the grill not my smoker and they turn out great...friends and family are always requesting them. I have my butcher grind my bacon with lean sirloin, 50/50 blend. Having them do it makes it so much easier to make patties when you get home. I get my grill real hot 400+ according to the dome temp and cook them on indirect heat for about 10-12 minutes per side. They cook completely that way without burning from flare ups and they don't dry out. We top them with crispy bacon slices and cheese, just like normal burgers. Hmmmm, hadn't made these in awhile...might have to do that for dinner tonight.

...I have my butcher grind my bacon with lean sirloin, 50/50 blend...

Not a bad idea. They would likely be too fatty (is that possible?) if you used 80/20 chuck. I grind my own with chuck steak, brisket, and pork rib trimmings (50/25/25 % in that order). Since I trim the breastbone from the spare ribs, that's almost pork belly anyway. The pork adds a great taste to burgers and takes smoke really well.

For my birthday last year,Pammi Sue got me a grinder attachment for our KA stand mixer. I made burgers with 1 pound of sirloin,1 pound of chuck,1 pound of short ribs and a 12 ounce package of bacon,all ground together. While they were awesome,the bacon flavor didn't really cone through. Guess I need more bacon!

Back