Halloween Brisket Cook

Rich Paq

TVWBB Member
Thought i would cook a brisket on my day off tomorrow. The plan is to start it at 6am then foil at 165. i plan to post frequent updates with photos for most of the cook.

Here is the brisket in cryovac. 16.8 lbs

Here it is before trimming.

Here it is after trimming. I estimate about 2 lbs fat removed.

Here are the injection ingredients.

Ill plan to inject later tonight then apply the rub in the morning.

Is that "Johhny's French Dip" thick like salad French Dressing, or more like a beef bouillon melted down?
Nice chunk of beef, should be a fun day tomorrow. Got beer? :)

Guess you are going to cook it high and fast. You are braver then me because I would never count on a 16 pounder that I put on that morning being ready to eat that evening. Looking forward to the pics though.

The plan is for a 12 + hour cook at 250.

Getting ready for injection

Injected while brisket wrapped in plastic wrap

Now in the fridge untill tomorrow

Got up at 4:30am to get this party started.

Here are the rub ingredients.

Rubbed and waiting for the smoker

Kingsford Comp lit added to a full ring of Royal Oak Lump unlit. Apple and Cherry wood chunks.

Brisket on at 5:19am Seems that I missed a part applying the rub.

Smoker getting to temp with help of Part Q

More Updates to come

Quick update.....Fighting higher than wanted temps between 265-270 cant seem to get to my target temp of 250. I think I added to much wood at the start which may have ignited more coals sooner.

Quick update.....Fighting higher than wanted temps between 265-270 cant seem to get to my target temp of 250. I think I added to much wood at the start which may have ignited more coals sooner.

Wouldnt worry too much about 15-20 degrees. Relax and make a MINOR adjustment to one of the dampers and the temp should SLOWLY decrease.

Decided to wrap at 160 to speed things up a bit.

Here it is after 10 1/2 hours of cooking. Point temped at 165 / Flat at 160

Placed it in a foil pan and added about 2 cups of left over injection

Now Ill probe in one hour and every 30 min after that till tender.

Back