Getting closer

GaryP

TVWBB Pro
Had an IBCA close to home yesterday. Loaded the trailer and headed out from work a little early. Didn't get a lot of pics as most boxes start looking the same. Got to cook next to a couple of great guys including the guy that won GC.

My chicken let me down. As I was prepping one half just seemed to take the injection better so I was pretty sure I was going to turn that one in. Well, right before turn in, the appearance on the primo half was splotchy. So I turned in the prettier one that did not take the injection like I would have wanted. I realized what I did as soon as I got back the the trailer. And I paid for it. However, a big step in the right direction for ribs and brisket. Tried a couple new things and decided not to sauce the brisket. These changes netted me my best finishes in both categories to date. Had the chicken done better, it may have been my day. But I pretty much got my money back for the weekend. Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Chicken 20th(ouch!)
Brisket 5th
Ribs 2ndIMG20240309090914.jpgIMG20240309150307.jpgIMG20240309183340.jpg

Last edited:
Had an IBCA close to home yesterday. Loaded on the trailer and headed out from work a little early. Didn't get a lot of pics as most boxes start looking the same. Got to cook next to a couple of great guys including the guy that won GC.

My chicken let me down. As I was prepping one half just seemed to take the injection better so I was pretty sure I was going to turn that one in. Well, right before turn in, the appearance on the primo half was splotchy. So I turned in the prettier one that did not take the injection like I would have wanted. I realized what I did as soon as I got back the the trailer. And I paid for it. However, a big step in the right direction for ribs and brisket. Tried a couple new things and decided not to sauce the brisket. These changes netted me my best finishes in both categories to date. Had the chicken done better, it may have been my day. But I pretty much got my money back for the weekend. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Gary, that brisket box is no joke!!! Looks absolutely fantastic! Great finishes in brisket and ribs! The comps I did were tons of fun, and tons of work!

Nice podium place brisket Gary! I'm guessing there won't be much cutting on that cutting board :D

Back