Genesis Red Head Restore Questions

JimSt

DSC_0221.jpg

DSC_0231_zpsbb63ac7d.jpg

Hi:

I'm new to the forum and found it when I was searching for info on restoring an older Genesis. I have a Genesis 1000 that I bought new in 1997 and am trying to do a complete restore. I've torn it down to the component parts and have some questions:

1. The cart is OK but has some minor rust areas, would you suggest just touching up the paint as opposed to repainting it ?

2. I was going to have the fire box sand blasted and just cleaning and sanding the hood myself. The hood's screws won't reverse out so I can't take it apart and sand blast the sides. What fineness of sandpaper should I use on the hood sides and what would you suggest I clean the enamel portion with ?

3. Do you suggest I restain the wood or get new wood ? The durawood is shown in the picture but I have the original wood stored away.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jim

Jim,

I quickly scanned the first 4 pages of threads in this forum and found these:

If the wood is in good condition, you can sand and restain. I used an opaque barn-colored stain on my old Genesis 2, but I'm sure there are lots of other good options. What I liked about the opaque was that it covered grease stains in the wood that I could not sand out.

You can clean the enamel on the lid with a cleaner like 409, Simple Green, etc. and 0000 steel wool. I would scrub any loose paint from the sides with a wire brush and then hit it with any fine sand paper or sanding sponge to smooth it enough for spray painting with high-temp BBQ paint. Same for the rust spots on the frame.

I'm sure other members will chime in with their own experiences.

Regards,
Chris

My dad took his original wood slats and sanded them down and re-stained them. Definitely could save you some money if they aren't degraded and grease marked too bad.

He also used gym floor polyurethane and that put a super thick and shiny coat on them. It's literally a gym floor on the wood surface and that makes it super easy to clean. It's almost like having a clear plastic tablecloth on it. I guess some wouldn't want theirs to be that shiny though and have more of a matte finish.

BTW, that grille of yours is EXACTLY like my dads. The things cook great, I think much better than my much newer Spirit grille.

Hi:

Thanks for the responses and especially the links, that's very helpful. I hope I can equal some of these restores as they turned out very nice.

The cart is giving some problems in its cleaning. I've been using 0000 steel wool and its cleaned up the legs just like new, but the parts of the cart that were attached/near the firebox have oxidation plus smoke build up and so far steel wool and green grill cleaner have not done much good. I'll try 409 tonight and see if it helps.

Chris I'm going to take your suggestion on the hood cleaning and see how it comes out.

i'm unsure what to do on the wood, some of the other restores look very nice with pine and other wood. I'll finish sanding the original wood and try experimenting with stains.

Weber Customer Service sent me extra screws to replace the one I had to grind off on the left hand side of the firebox and although my control panel was in decent shape except for some rust along the edges, I decided to buy a new one from Weber as it was only $19.95. I originally intended to see how good an inexpensive restore I could do, but in the end I decided that 15 years was a good life for the burners and decided to replace them.

I had trouble posting more than one photo from photobucket if anyone has any suggestions on why I haven't been able to post more than one photo, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks
Jim

Back