Genesis 2000 Rehab....

Started my Genesis 2000 project. Stripped everything from the frame and started grinding away the rust.
frame.jpg

The two legs without wheels were badly rusted - so I ended up cutting off just over two inches to accomodate some caster wheels that I picked up from Weber.
LegRust.jpg

I made one very bad discovery. One of the bottom cross bars was very badly rusted - I will either need to replace it with a custom fabricated/welded piece or get a replacement from Weber (if they still have any available).

I put in the aftermarket grates and bars that I picked up from RCPlanebuyer - pretty sure they will last a lifetime. And the wood slats are now dry - gonna assemble everything soon. If I only had a replacement lid.....

WeberGrates.jpg

Wooddrying.jpg

Very nice job! What type of sand blaster did you use on the cookbox? I have restored 2 Genesis and have never been able to get the cookbox that clean. I have a small Sears suction type sandblaster and it is just not up to the task. Dan

I got a new lid from Weber for $90. I will still search for an original red one on CL maybe I'll find one. I used a commercial sandblaster - all parts came out like they were cast fresh.

WeberNewLid5.jpg

Great job Jonathan, you should be very proud. What's on the menu for it's maiden cook?

I will still search for an original red one on CL maybe I'll find one.

Keep looking.

Not to rub it in on you, but I picked up a red, 3 burner Genesis a couple years ago on CL (with the tank) for $20. All I really did was replace the flavorizer bars and burners. Even the igniter still worked.

Nice work.

What are your plans for the other gasser I see in the background?

Looks great! Congrats on the job well done. Doesn't it feel nice to finally have it finish and be able to cook on it? I know it did with mine.

Enjoy!

I had a lot of fun rebuilding the grill - and for some reason or another any food I cook with it tastes great. I will give my old grill to a friend or give it away free. I used douglas fir for the wood slats - and stained with Polyshades (stain & poly in one step). The wood turned out much better than pictures can illustrate - anyone who sees the grill immediately asks, "Where did you get the grill?".

Webernewlid8.jpg

WeberNewlid7.jpg

WOW! That's a beautiful job you did.
(I particularly like the way that the woodwork turned out.)

You NEVER would find a new grill, for the amount of money that you sunk into that one, that will cook as well. A fixed-up, old Weber is still better than about 90% of the brand-new gassers that you'll find in stores.

You did an awesome job on the resto Jonathan! The newer lid lined up with the older cook box without any issues? What kind of paint did you use on the cart? Thanks!

Wes

Back