Genesis 1 Restoration

Can you enlighten me how you got the inside that clean? It looks amazing!
Happy to. Long handle razor blade scraper, 000 steel wool, and simple green. It takes a while to get to look like new again but it's extremely satisfying when done. You can also do the same on the outside to make that look as good as possible.

It is great and all, but for a personal grill, kinda pointless. Two cooks later and it is coated with grease and carbon again. But, if you simply want to start out fresh, go for it.

Removing the box:
The left side bolt was loose, the nut was not even attached, the bolt slid right out. The right side spade head bolts, I don't think they'll be coming out the way they went in. I've PB Blasted the hell out of them, but I'm not very hopeful.

The lid disassembled with no problems. What's the purpose of the sheet metal nuts, is that just cost cutting on Weber's part? Or maybe they hold better without need for a lock washer?

1714426964965.png1714427577905.png

Good luck on those thumb screws. They are prone to being frozen in the cook box and like to twist off.

Yeah, they are going to twist off. Gonna be a mess.
Maybe I'll try some heat.
Mine twisted off with very little effort! :( So, to get cooking, I swapped the box with another one I had, popped in some stainless bolts with wing nuts for the manifold. I guess I don't have a "numbers matching" grill anymore, but it cooks good (and hopefully will look good after I get some more work done.) :)

R

Mine twisted off with very little effort! :( So, to get cooking, I swapped the box with another one I had, popped in some stainless bolts with wing nuts for the manifold. I guess I don't have a "numbers matching" grill anymore, but it cooks good (and hopefully will look good after I get some more work done.) :)

R
Lol, I don't happen to have a spare firebox.
These screws are the final impediment to a complete disassembly. I shall endeavour to persevere.

Keep trying, Just remember that those cookboxes are all 25+ years old now and the grills are hitting the curb quite often. So if you mess it up, you can just keep your eyes open for a curb alert Genesis 1-5 or Genesis 1000-5000. Basically any genesis from 1985 to 1999.
Also, if you do twist one or both off, it is possible to drill them out.

I used this with good results
1PCS Deep Power Wing Nut Driver,... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BN1J5NN7?tag=tvwb-20
Low torque setting on drill, after lots of PBBlaster
That looks pretty cool. I've good luck by first not getting angry and frustrated, next by a good soak with PBlaster, then a gentle twist. If I get movement I stop and reverse, then back again, I will do that a couple times, and more soaking. Then repeat, until I can actually get them out. Otherwise my other way, is get angry and frustrated early. Twist it and if it breaks it breaks. Then just drilling out large and using stainless carriage bolts and stainless nut. Sometimes anger and frustration win VERY early :D

That looks pretty cool. I've good luck by first not getting angry and frustrated, next by a good soak with PBlaster, then a gentle twist. If I get movement I stop and reverse, then back again, I will do that a couple times, and more soaking. Then repeat, until I can actually get them out. Otherwise my other way, is get angry and frustrated early. Twist it and if it breaks it breaks. Then just drilling out large and using stainless carriage bolts and stainless nut. Sometimes anger and frustration win VERY early :D
I've blasted it, and also heated it, no luck yet. Sprayed it again after the heat, too, just in case it might penetrate better. I think I'll order the tool Hank uses, which will allow more time for patience and penetration while it ships. Then when it twists off anyways, at least I'll know I did what I could!

While I'm on Amazon, I'll also add a tap & die set to the cart. "Save for Later".

Back