Found This Used....Help Please

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey guys/gals

Found this Performer used in a local classified. It's been for sale for quite some time now but at $400 I'm not surprised. Had some email contact with the seller and I think he feels he's sitting on a real piece of history and was not willing to talk offers. Anyways I'm just wondering approx. what the age of this unit is. Without the code can anyone roughly guess? I'm thinking of reaching out again but I'd like to know how old a unit we're talking here notwithstanding condition which appears very good.

Thanks

_20_zpsc0b9cf9e.jpg

_20-2_zps732023bb.jpg

Im sure others will chime in (Chad, where are ya) and give you an exact time frame. I would say around early 2000's. I don't think it would be worth $400, even though it looks to be in really good shape.

....however, there are some people smarter than me who will hopefully fill you in more

ahh, Tony was typing the same time I was, beat me too it

it appears the top dome is either is either a newer replacement or he added the thermometer to the lid itself. I believe its a newer lid because the lid on those SS performers typically had the thermometer in the handle (see below) and I don't see the hole up there if he decided to remove the thermometer from up there. It also appears the One-Touch system was also update to the newer "black" one. Again the old SS performers typically had the all aluminum colored one touches (again see below). I wouldn't be surprised if the grill portion itself (not the cart) is entirely from a newer model and based on the handle color its a 2010 or 2011 as in 2012 the performers got the dark grey handle vs the lite one here and prior to 2010, the handles had the thermometer in them.

With that said, $400 is way over priced....even if it were red ;-)

100_2305.jpg

Last edited:
That is a nice ss performer - at $400 it is way over priced. Look for a new one at HD, I believe they are $399. On a side note that performer is missing the wire rack on the bottom. If you do get him to drop his price have a close look at the cross memebers on the bottom frame that is where they typically rust but can be easily repaired if that is your thing.

I would say it has been rebiilt dome and ask catcher for sure but most likely a completely kettle rebuild. Also the gas tamnk regulator and hose assembly are newer aa the old bottles time out. Given all this it is a nice solid looking grill but not for 400 that is more than they sold for new.

Thanks all. I will likely drop the seller a line. I also feel better about engaging in some discussion about price with the info you've provided.

It’s going to be difficult to date that because the most accurate way to date a weber is by checking the date code on the lid vent. That is for sure not the original lid. Weber stopped making SS table performers in 2004 or 2005 I don’t remember exactly. That lid is 2010 or newer. I have a 2008 and my thermometer is in the handle, the thermometer in the lid like that one came out later.

Also keep in mind that when propane tanks get to a certain age you can’t get them refilled any more unless they are re certified, it’s somewhere around 12 years old but I don’t remember exactly. My point is you would probably need to buy a new tank.

Unless you are a die hard collector I would say buy a new one for the same price with the Weber warranty

Last edited:
The only stock stuff on this Performer is the frame, SS, and charcoal bin. The SS Performer came out in 1990 and ran until 2004 (if I remember correctly)
The age of this one? Your guess is as good as anyone...

As Dave pointed out, it's missing the bottom rack (in the frame rails)

F674A1C4-EC6B-4367-8E3F-C3D122A0F51C-945-0000005A3679EE15.jpg

It's about 10-12 yrs old. I think that is one of the manual lite models. A brand new one is 399 and you don't half to deal with the big tank. In all reality, The way it sits I wouldn't give more then $50 bucks. With that being said, I would take that $50 bucks and buy a older kettle that has the deeper base and taller lid.

I say hide and watch. $400 is too much. If it's meant to be yours ... He'll negotiate.... If not there's another deal around the corner for both of you.

The big wheel keeps on turnin.... Add proud Mary keeps on burnin.....

Don't lift the lid....

Thanks to all that have responded. I've emailed the seller asking about the missing shelf, the fact it appears to have different vintage parts and why it's priced same as new. All in a polite tone of course.........I've not heard back so far and I expect I won't.

I'm just going to let it slide and keep my eye on the prize, a new Performer Platnium.

Cheers.

I'm just going to let it slide and keep my eye on the prize, a new Performer Platnium.

Cheers.

Wise choice! That was going to be my answer to you after reading the following in your original post:

Had some email contact with the seller and I think he feels he's sitting on a real piece of history and was not willing to talk offers.

At his asking price, MY decision would have been sealed right here! I'm sure there are members here who have probably 2 or 3 nice stainless Performers and don't have $400 tied up in them collectively.

In addition to the other changes mentioned, the bottom wire rack is missing. Stainless steel performers seem to have been produced from the early '90s through 2004. That lid definitely isn't the original. As for the propane tank, it doesn't look to be the original one, and even if it was, I have no idea whether Canada has something similar to the U.S.A. 12 year regulation.

Although that is nice and clean, no way that is worth even half of what he is asking, imo.

There's so much HUH? in this post, I need help knowing where you came up with this info...

It's about 10-12 yrs old.

No one else can narrow it down to a 2002-2004, so what gives this date away?

I think that is one of the manual lite models.

The "manual lite" models, as in, no gas assist, didn't have front casters.
So unless this owner cut down the front legs and installed casters & inserts - it appears to be an original Touch-N-Go model

A brand new one is 399

You mean $349, right? Which is up 10 bucks over last years 339 MSRP
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-Pe...-Grill-in-Black-1481001/203597717?N=5yc1vZ1ls
http://www.target.com/p/weber-perfo.../-/A-11691726#prodSlot=medium_1_40&term=weber
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13341750

and you don't half to deal with the big tank.

Some of us prefer the 5# tank over the expensive 1 pounders. Obviously, I get 5X the use out of a fill-up and have 4 less 'empty tank' syndroms per cycle. Plus, my local lumber yard fills an empty 5# tank for $3.15 +tax. I can't buy 5 disposable 1# cylinders for even double that amount.

I would take that $50 bucks and buy a older kettle that has the deeper base and taller lid.

What is this deeper base & taller lid you speak of? Any examples? My early 70's red head is just like any of my newer kettles.
How old to I have to go before getting into the deeper bowls & taller lids?

Back