Forschner knives

Keri--

Hit here and here and compare; one often has a better price than the other on specific knives and each will throw a few on sale now and again.

Note: MACs have different series. I recommend the 'original' for lighter, thin knives like parers and the Chef, Superior, Professional or Ultimate for chefs, santokus, veg knives, etc. Also note that like Global and many other Japanese brands, MAC knives are made with a tighter bevel than European knives (which is why I prefer Japanese blades). Keep that in mind when steeling and do not use a sharpener with pre-sets designed for European knives. Use stones, a sharpener specifically for MAC (I think they make one), or a sharpener with rods that can be adjusted to a smaller angle.

I think you'd love a MAC or two.

Oh dear... I think I'm in love.

macMTH-80.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Oh dear... I think I'm in love. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>HAPPY BIRTHDAY KERI!

Keri
That is the one, it looks like the price has gone up $10 since I got mine. I was at a cooking trade show in Seattle so there was no shipping.

You will love it!
Jim

If you like the Santuko knife, you might want to try a Tojiro from japanesechefsknife.com The blade is thinner than the Henckels or Wusthof Santuokos, the steel is harder, and the edge is more acute, therefore sharper. Plus, it's only $45.
Img526.jpg

There are a bunch of great looking and performing knives in this thread. My personal favorites are Kershaw Shun line.

I have several and every time I use one it brings a smile to my face.

Jim

Now I'm becoming intrigued...after looking at the Forschner's I have some questions about the different knives....
1) it appears the cimetar is especially useful for trimming briskets & butts prior to cooks, is that right?
2) What is the diff. between granton & regular?
3) What in the heck is a Santoku! does it replace a chef's knife?
4) What would be the best knife for slicing brisket?
5) is a butcher's knife useful as well?

Sorry for all the ?'s, but Q is a science in itself, & it looks like knives are too! Any other input to a newbie is welcome
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim P.:
There are a bunch of great looking and performing knives in this thread. My personal favorites are Kershaw Shun line.

I have several and every time I use one it brings a smile to my face.
Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, a lot of these knives look great, but I can hear my Wife's eyebrows moving to the "what the heck" position just thinking about spending all that money on knives lol. I'll have to make due with what I have and keep the stone handy lol. I have no problem with keeping my knives sharp using the stone when they need it, but I would love a handle that is more comfy.

Bob--

Yep--a handle that feels good to you is a very good thing.

Brian--

1. Again it's a personal preference but to me the narrower blade of a shorter breaking knife or a firm or semi-flexible filet knife is better suited for that type of trimmimg. For finer trimming or for fileting along bones a firm filet is great or even a pointed paring.

2. The dimples, which many feel lessens drag (friction).

3. A santoku is a Japanese-style knife particularly suited to chopping, dicing and some slicing. They are low-tipped and a bit less curved than a chef's and are fairly short-bladed (usually 6-7.5 inches). Imo, a santoku does not replace a chef's knife.

4. In Forschner's line many people like the 14-inch round-tipped slicer. Generally (personal taste again), wider slicers/carvers are used for hot meats, the narrower blades for cold meats.

5. Butcher and cimeter knives are (to me) best for butchering, and by that I mean cutting up sub-primals or sides or whole carcasses. They aren't really needed for smaller cuts; a good chef's or breaking knife can easily handle that.

Thanks for the link Kevin. I had been wanting a good fillet knife and just ordered the MAC Stainless 10¼'' Yanagiba Fillet Knife. One if the sites you recommended had it $15.00 less than the other site. Looking forward to using it.

Ray

Kevin,
I would say the best knives I have in the kitchen is my Dexter-Russell 12" butcher knife. About $40 each, but I get em' a little cheaper through a friend. Good thing is, I never used any of these other knives, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing lol.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bob--

I cut many a side of beef, many a strip loin, and many a sirloin with a Dexter 12" butcher--I had the one with the wood handle. When my lead line cook 'retired' he swiped it. Had a great paring from Dexter too. No clue what happened to that one.

I go to the Amazon "outlet" page a lot. Some may find a good deal on some of these knives. Have some Henckels, Wusthofs, and Kershaws on sale. Use the link from this site if anyone looks and orders.
icon_wink.gif

One knife that I haven't seen mentioned here is the F. Dick. They are certainly one of the finest knives around and my favorite. The balance and all-around feel is great.

For what it's worth, they are used in 9 out of 10 culinary schools worldwide.

Wow Kevin - your link to the Knife Merchant has opened a new set of doors for me. I went to the site and bought the 10 inch Mac fillet knife. I got it yesterday (three days after ordering) and it is by far thwe sharpest knife I have ever seen! Also, their catalogue has so many interesting things that I now believe I "must have".

My older knives now seem dull!

Ray

Yes, Ray, I know what you mean. (You can see now why I prefer Japanese blades.)

Though one might not need several different knives they come in more than handy. And specific task knives for specific tasks make the job easier and more enjoyable. A good boning knife, e.g., makes boning chicken or other fowl much quicker (I never buy already boned fowl). I use a Tojiro boning (see it at Tom Chilton's link above); a couple different filet knives, a couple parers of different shapes, a variety of slicers, butchers...you get the idea.

As I mentioned to Keri upthread sharpening a tighter-angled blade is different and needs to be considered. I use an ultra-fine diamond steel for steeling (available at knifemerchants), a wheel system for my road knives, stones for my home knives, and/or an Apex stand sharpener (knifemerchants). The steel, stones, and Apex can also be used on European knives. If you choose something with a fixed angle it needs to be the same angle as the knife/brand you're using.

Are there any national chains that you all are aware of that carry Forschner? I've tried the websites for Bed Bath and Beyond, Linens and Things, etc but haven't found them yet. I want to get one of their cimeters - and since I'm trimming 2 butts tonight for the WSM tomorrow, I'd love to buy it locally and give it a good workout tonight!

I've never seen 'em at chain stores, but you might check your yellow pages for a restaurant supply house in your area. I think you'd be more likely to find them there. If they don't have a Forschner in the style you want, they may have a Dexter Russell or other comparable brand.

Keri C

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:... my road knives, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, what kind of trucking operation are you running
icon_smile.gif
?

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul G.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:... my road knives, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, what kind of trucking operation are you running
icon_smile.gif
?

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE> seriously... I think Kevin actually just tours the country in his truck and instead of cargo, he's actually just got a big catering rig inside and is cooking for all the folks in the truck stops... who else carries around full packer briskets and smoke wood wherever he goes (not that I'm complaining, by the way)
icon_smile.gif

Back