Forschner knives

Cory Musser

TVWBB Fan
I've been looking to purchase some knives and I see plenty of people here like the Forschners. I was wondering if the Fibrox knives are all full tang? Also would you suggest the forged line over the stamped(Fibrox) or are they just as good? Birthday is coming up and I'm looking for some good ideas! Thanks.

Good morning Cory,
Don't waste your money on any other brand but Forschner! I'm a meat cutter by profession and would never use any other type! Their handles are great, you can get either a straight or a curved blade, and they hold an edge great. I recommend a 6-inch boning knife, an 8-inch, and a 10-inch--if you can afford to! A 10-inch steel would be a great addition as well. Hope this helps.
Todd

Thanks Todd. I'm really leaning toward the Forschners. They seem to have really good prices and a great following. So the Fibrox handled ones are the way to go?

Cory, don't think twice about getting the stamped fibrox-handled Forschners. They continually rank in the top three favorites of Cooks Illustrated right up there with the "big guys" of other more pricey European origin, as well as being favored by professionals like Todd above. I have probably 8 or 10 different stamped Forschners with which I am very well pleased. That being said, I DID splurge a little and get a forged Forschner santoku some time back, though, that I really REALLY like.
5661.jpg

And their little stamped stamped 3.25-inch paring knife is a great little workhorse for the paltry sum of about $4. I agree with Todd - go ahead and put the steel on your wishlist while you're at it.

Keri C, still smokin' on Tulsa Time

good prices and free shipping from "professional cutlery direct". Don't have their url right now but do a google search. check them out.

I have 2 of them and love them. I got the 12" Cimetar and the 14" beef slicer both with Fibrox handles and the Granton Edge.
icon_smile.gif

We recently got a Heinkel Santoku knife as a wedding present. WOW is all I can say. It really is a great knife and can do about anything.

Well, I'm convinced thanks to all your input. Some Forschners are going on my wish list this year. Now I have to figure out exactly what I want. Definately the 8" chef's knife and probably a boning knife. Like to have the forged Santoku like Keri showed. My cousin just bought a $120.00 Henckels Santoku. It's a great knife but I can't see spending that kind of money or asking someone else to when there's something comparable out there that's more affordable. Again thanks for everyone's input.

can someone who has either Henkels or Wusthoff weigh in on this... how do the Forschners compare? Are they as weighty? balance? durability?

I have a set of Henkels 5-star (wedding) and absolutely love them. I know the Forschners are a better bet for price... but if prices were equal? Just curious.

- Adam

At the risk of starting (yet another) knife debate: I like a couple of the Forschner butcher knives (I like their breaking knives very much and cimeters). For 'regular' knives it's a different story for me. Though I like lighter knives (and prefer Japanese manufacturing and knife design--I use knives from Global, Misono, Glestain et.al., but have owned and/or used knives from all the major European companies), Forschners don't work for me; I like the feel of the Fibrox handles but not the balance and I do not care for the steel they use. That said, when I'm asked I include Forshners in the mix of manufacturers I recommend for home use. They are a very good value. Imo, they are not as durable as Henckels (they do not hold as edge as long as I like) and are not as weighty. Weight and balance are personal preferences though. Professionally (for what it's worth), I cannot think of anyone I know who prefers Forschners (except the butcher knives) but you will find them in commercial kitchens, especially those that do not require all the staff to supply their own knives; price is the major factor here. I know many home cooks who really like them though. Between the brands you mention, Adam, if price was equal I would get the Henckels (but I'd still get Forshner's butcher knives).

I have a complete set of the 5 stars too. I purchased them individually not as a set so as to purchase exactly the pieces I need. Took me 5 years and was all set until I purchased the WSM and needed to remove the skin from a picnic. Then I found the Forschner on this site. I haven't seen the other pieces but the butcher knife I purchased is very well made. Kevin nailed it, it's a matter of price.

I have Forschners, Henckels, Globals and MAC knives. It is about balance and how they fit in your hand.
I don't find that the Forschners hold an edge as long as the my other knives, but that would not keep me from buying more in the future.
I have a 14" Forchner carver that is great for carving brisket.
The Japanese knives are I think the best quality and hold an edge for ever it seems.
The MAC Santoku for me is outstanding.
Jim

good feedback, all. Jim - I've been eyeing that 14" inch hollow-groove carver from Forchner as well. For less than $50 - hard to beat. And since I won't be using it everyday like I do my henckel chef's knive, I'm not worried about how long it will hold it's edge.

Thanks again all.

Adam, I got my 14" Forschner granton-edge slicer on Ebay some time back... for $9 including shipping.
icon_biggrin.gif
Keep an eye out - that deal shows up on a pretty regular basis.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Keri C:
Adam, I got my 14" Forschner granton-edge slicer on Ebay some time back... for $9 including shipping.
icon_biggrin.gif
Keep an eye out - that deal shows up on a pretty regular basis. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You gotta love that E-bay! I've had some really great deals from there.

I keep hearing from you guys as well as many others about the MAC knives. The more I hear, the more curious I get. I have a smattering of Wusthof Grand Prix, Henckels, Sabatier (the old carbon steel ones), Forschner, forged Tramontinas, etc, but the closest to a Japanese knife I've ever tried was my Forschner santoku as shown above. I have a birthday coming up next week - perchance I need to investigate one of the MACs for Robert to get for me.
icon_wink.gif
Any suggestions on the best source for them?

-Keri C

Back