First time Tri-Tip

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
I live in Wisconsin and it seems that cows around here are not equipped with the Tri-Tip that cows in other parts of the country are. Well, the other week my wife spotted a wild 3 pound Tri-Tip at the store and bought it. This was my first go with it. Seasoned with Montreal steak seasoning it was seared on both sides for about 3 minutes. Then it was off to indirect land for about 10 minutes per side. Last it was a return to direct sear for 5 minutes a side. I think I got it over done, but it was still tender and tasty.

20150322_125645.jpg

20150322_133444.jpg

20150322_140644.jpg

20150322_134559.jpg

Yay! Tim!!
Tri's are hard to find here.. but if you subscribe to Jacob's Meat Market in Appleton, they'll send you an email when they have them on sale (usu. 4.99lb)
they do stock them year-round, but frozen.

Tim, your 1st Tri looks PERFECT!!

Your tri-tip looks great. Wish I were there to try it. Do have one in the freezer and will cook it in a few weeks. Can't wait.

It's always odd/interesting what animal parts are found where in this bountiful country of ours...
I would have skipped that last 5 min. indirect - glad you found and enjoyed one!

Tri Tip looks great. We're always our own worst critics (and that makes us all strive to do better each time), but there's not a person on this forum that wouldnt pay for that plate.

Back