First time restore questions - Genesis 1000

JarlathForde

Hi all,

After reading this forum I decided to pick up at Genesis 1000 on CL for $40 and try restoring it rather than dropping $400+ on a new Weber gas grill. And it is rewarding to bring something perfectly useful back to life.

So far so good, it is all in pieces now and I've started clean up and I have a few questions:

The square nuts that sit inside the frame tubes all disintegrated once I took the frame apart. Any thoughts on what to replace these with or where to find replacements? I haven't seen them on any of the parts sites.

The carbon buildup inside the lid is thin but hard caked on - any recommendations on how to remove without scratching up the enamel too badly?

The tank scale assembly has some rust, is there an easy way to disassemble for re-painting? If not, I'll just paint the outsides and reattach.

I hope to finish the clean up this weekend. I'll post some pictures over the weekend when I'm home during daylight.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi all,

After reading this forum I decided to pick up at Genesis 1000 on CL for $40 and try restoring it rather than dropping $400+ on a new Weber gas grill. And it is rewarding to bring something perfectly useful back to life.

So far so good, it is all in pieces now and I've started clean up and I have a few questions:

The square nuts that sit inside the frame tubes all disintegrated once I took the frame apart. Any thoughts on what to replace these with or where to find replacements? I haven't seen them on any of the parts sites.

The carbon buildup inside the lid is thin but hard caked on - any recommendations on how to remove without scratching up the enamel too badly?

The tank scale assembly has some rust, is there an easy way to disassemble for re-painting? If not, I'll just paint the outsides and reattach.

I hope to finish the clean up this weekend. I'll post some pictures over the weekend when I'm home during daylight.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I've had the same problem with those nut inserts and have been unsuccessful in finding them. If you find them please let us know where. I was able to buy new tubes from Weber and they were reasonably priced at the time. I bought them before the infamous Weber price increases in parts so they might not be so reasonable any more. But, check with Weber.

Try oven cleaner and any heavy duty degreaser on the inside of lid. I wouldn't do any scraping but 0000 steel wool would be fine. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about inside of lid as it will just get recoated very quickly, just keep loose bits knocked off.

You will enjoy saving the grill and it will last many more years! Post pictures, we all enjoy pictures!

Try a company called "Fastenall" they carry a bunch of stuff like this. I simply ran threaded rod through. Works just fine.

Back