First Snake Bacon

russ olin

TVWBB Platinum Member
This guy came for some lunch the other day, he was hungry. Look closely he has some prairie dog in his beak.

Last week we got a whole pork belly for $2.79 a lb. Trimmed it up and halved it. Froze one half for later and cured the other half.
After curing for a week, seasoned it up with more brown sugar & pepper. And into the Weber. This was my first attempt at the snake method. You know what they say, it takes a snake to know a snake. I figured that I could do it. It was the size of a big fat timber rattler. Loaded it up about 3/4 the way with charcols around the kettle. Used some hickory & apple wood chunks along with some little devil pellets.
About 4 hrs later checked and added a few more charcoals

Brought it in after 6 hrs on the Weber. Brought it to 145. Perfect! The smoker ran @170. Did great for the windy day that we had here.Even though I had to move the controls several times to keep it stable. On a nice day I am sure that this would not have been a problem.
After cooling it for a hour or so getting ready to do some slicing,
Got to try out the slicer we got for Christmas. works perfect on bacon.
Had to try some of the bacon and it was guud. All in all I like doing the snake method for doing bacon.
See Jim & Morgan I told you that it would work, LOL.

Make it two, beautiful color on that bacon, well done my friend. Love the Eagle shot, we have two nesting pairs on the lake I fish frequently next to my house. Beautiful

that's extremely cool to have Uncle Sam fly down and see you. amazing. great looking hog slabs too russ.

don't lift the lid...

Russ - great post. I too used the snake for my first batch of bacon and got great results. The snake is great for steady low heat. Awsome eagle pic too!

Regards,

John

Your a funny guy Russ!! Glad the snake worked cause your bacon looks super!! Nice buddy! Prairie dog? Is that a new brat? My eagles look for kitty cats and Pomeranians!

Back