First Over-nighter

Ben Freshman

Hey everyone, I'm doing my third attempt at pork-butt; first two came out awesome but this time I'm trying an overnight cook. I planned on doing the minion method and checking up on it, but not like my usual evey 45 minutes or so when smoking. Any tips on the overnighter?

Thanks

Hi Ben,

I've done most of my butts overnight. What I've done is put it on the smoker at least two hours before you're planning on going to sleep. This will give you enough time to check on it and make sure that it's holding its temp. I've found that if it holds steady for 2 - 2.5 hours, it will be fine for the rest of the night. Just make sure to check on it when you wake up, at which time you may want to add more hot water (if you're using any to begin with), and check the fuel level.

I hope it works out well for you, and good luck trying to sleep! The only problem I've ever had doing pork butts overnight is that the anticipation keeps me awake!

Ben,

S is on the money. Pick your temp, get it to stabilize near there, and then sleep soundly. A well packed Minion should give you many, many hours of stress free sleep. And remember that butts are sufficiently forgiving that you'll be fine. I hope it's great!

I remember my first all-nighter. I was very nervous but trusted my WSM based on previous smokes. As others have mentioned, I let the temp stabilize and went to bed about 12:00. I did get up once (a 50+ yr old guy thing) and checked, all was steady. The next morning it was still holding fine so I enjoyed my coffee to the smell of BBQ smoking.
Have fun and faith in your WSM.

Mike

Back