First grill on new Performer Deluxe ribeyes

JonnyB

TVWBB Member
Broke it in yesterday with some 2" ribeyes.

got the adapter for the Q so I could use the 20# tank I already had.
lVGHCNv.jpg

the only lump that Home Depot had, kinda sucked some pieces right out the bag are smaller than the grate and fell thru.
VlbF1Kw.jpg

getting ready for first light! sear grate also
3gbnSfI.jpg

the meat
3KtcmMy.jpg

after 4 mins
jg5bUC3.jpg

after 8 mins
hLrpN6n.jpg

seasoned and wrapped while waiting for preheat, salt and ground pepperoncini
Wuu6e4W.jpg

after 10 mins, at this point, I wasnt sure if I was supposed to let the coals at the very top get red also? Can someone advise? It was also so screaming hot, hotter than any gas grill I've ever felt, to the point I was a little afraid lol. So I dumped it right after this.
usAvwyi.jpg

after a couple mins with lid on, it stopped @ 550 anyway
PRk5307.jpg

3 mins per side sear
0CDHPSG.jpg

I had some smoke coming out from between the bowls. Does anyone use gaskets to help with sealing?
M0T3LEl.jpg

indirect time, they were about 110 when I pulled to the sides, it took quite a while to reach 132 actually, maybe because they were so thick and i wasn't used to that.
j5ye2Ps.jpg

they actually didn't climb any temp when I pulled off. again, I assume because of thickness and that they came off of an indirect heat rather than direct.
wD98a3g.jpg

plated w/sides
IhVnOUP.jpg

sliced plating
Iyt4clr.jpg

Best steak I've ever made myself. Destroyed anything I ever made in a cast iron pan or on the gas grill as far as flavor.

an hour later the grill was still 350F. I only closed the top vent, I guess I should have closed the bottom too. curious to see how much reusable coal I still have.

JonnyB;
First of all, congratulations on your new grill. I rank the various Performers among the best grills in the Universe!

That was a FINE first cook (or many cooks down the line it will still be FINE)!!

I have a couple of suggestions. After I set my chimney on the gas starter I time it at exactly three minutes. That's enough to get a reliable start, any more wastes gas and actually will burn up your charcoal before you even start cooking. I wait a total of twenty minutes, then dump the charcoal. I spread it around evenly (for a one layer fire) or dump it behind a couple of thin fire bricks for a two tiered fire (one side direct and the other indirect):

I predict that you will LOVE your new Performer!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Ok thanks Robert. I bet a bunch of people forget to turn the gas off at all, I almost did. I did have it on the whole time though that chimney was on. Should the top coals be red too or after 20 mins it's enough anyway?

Ty Enrico, it was so firegrilled tasty and mouthwatering and tender! :D

Great start with your new performer! I have a 20# bottle on my performer also and it's on year two now and still about 3/4 full, sure beats the little bottles.

That is a beautiful grill you have there! Great way to break it in with some steaks! Great cook!

Thanks Rich, I wish it would fit under the table. I mean it may, but being so close to the kettle worried me, do you keep it under?

TY Greg

Way to break in that grill, Jonny. Beautiful looking cook. Yeah, watch and make sure you shut off that charcoal assist. If left on, it will warp your charcoal grate. Very nice job.

Thanks Rich, I wish it would fit under the table. I mean it may, but being so close to the kettle worried me, do you keep it under?

TY Greg

Nope sits off to the side like yours, but mine never gets moved so it's not an issue.

Looks like an excellent first run on the performer!

"The only lump that Home Depot had, kinda sucked some pieces right out the bag are smaller than the grate and fell thru. "

If you plan to use lump a good technique is to pick up a second charcoal grate and place it on top of the first but perpendicular. Then you'll have a grid-like charcoal grate that will prevent all but the smallest bits of lump from falling through. Alternatively, pick up a set of Weber Char-Basket Charcoal Briquet Holders. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000WEMGM4/tvwb-20 Those will serve the same purpose while simplifying both indirect and small-scale direct cooking like those two rib eyes.

Congrats on the new grill. Those steaks look great! Get yourself some BBQ gloves and some cheap tongs to move charcoal around. I found it helps to hand pick the pieces when using lump or a lot of small ones will fall through. Many lump users will get a 2nd charcoal grate and place it 90 degrees so the smaller pieces don't fall through. Be careful not to damage the one touch system when charcoal falls through. Just don't get too aggressive if it gets stuck. The 2nd grate will help avoid those issues.

Don't worry about the lid not sealing 100%. It will get a little better with use. You can move the lid position around to see if it seals better in a different position. I found my seals a lot better with the vent between the handles on my kettle. Does your lid go on and off easily? If not it may be out of round and Weber will send you a new one.

Oh ok. I have those charcoal baskets already, they came with the grill, but some pieces still fall thru that.

I'll see about getting an additional coal grate.

The lid goes on and off easily, I give it a little wiggle until I feel it has sat itself in the best position.

Ty guys!

I need to do that conversion to my performer. What's the Q adapter part number?

GRATE cook! Ribeyes are my favorite.

Back