Finally got the Pizza Right

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
After our last disaster pizza adventure I decided to try a new approach.
Started with a full large chimney ran the gas assist four minutes just to get the bottom coals lit.
Dumped them in the kettle and assembled it and put the pizza stone in, this allows the pizza stone to heat up gradually along with the coals, so no thermo shock for the stone. I know some pre heat their stones but I don’t like the idea of moving a blazing hot heavy stone around.
Ran the temperature to around 500 added some olive wood and hit 575. Put the first pizza in and 5-6 minutes later perfect.
Same with the next three, very pleased with the results.
One other thing when we went to the woodshed in California to get our smoking wood I asked what’s the best wood for a pizza oven and they told us olive wood. Because it burns clean and hot and for a long time.
I did four pizzas over about 30-35 minutes with three chunks and it was still burning when I was done.
They say its Italy’s favorite smoking wood and I can see why.
Let’s see what Enrico has to say about that;)

DSCN2810_zpsotc9kjdr.jpg

DSCN2815_zpsp0koh77i.jpg

DSCN2818_zps8txrxy3h.jpg

DSCN2819_zpszskwzrto.jpg

DSCN2821_zpsxtbehljh.jpg

DSCN2823_zps9zkh1ewv.jpg

DSCN2825_zpswagodctp.jpg

DSCN2828_zpskx3bzrl6.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Those pizzas look great!!! I like your choice of toppings for the different pies.

You have almost made me feel bad about getting rid of my KettlePizza.

Great pizzas, Rich. They look the bomb! Interesting that you used olive wood. Other than the burn time, did you notice any specific flavor from it?

Great pizzas, Rich. They look the bomb! Interesting that you used olive wood. Other than the burn time, did you notice any specific flavor from it?

It had a very mild smokiness to it, which for Barb and me was perfect. If you like a little more heavy smoke this is not the wood you would want to use. I might try a combination of olive and something else, not sure what yet, although I was happy with the way it was.

I love it Rich. You just keep plugging away on the pizza until you perfect it! I keep plugging away but the perfection has escaped me! I'm never giving up though! I would be humbled to make pizza that good!

Great looking pies! It always feels great to finally figure out something that has eluded you in the past, and you just did that!

Back