Dry the meat after Marinading, or put on the grill wet?

Tom Henderson

TVWBB Member
Another noob question for y'all.

After you have marinaded your meat, do you pat it dry before you put it on the grill, or just shake it off and put it on wet?

Thanks in advance!

-Tom in SoCal

I put it on wet. depending on what the protien is I'll boil the marinade and baste with the left overs.

I usually just throw it on wet, but depending how much you're putting on the grill and if you're doing direct cooking you may want to let most of it drip off before putting on. If you load up your grill with dripping protein you may run into an issue with it putting your coals out.

I usually just throw it on wet, but depending how much you're putting on the grill and if you're doing direct cooking you may want to let most of it drip off before putting on. If you load up your grill with dripping protein you may run into an issue with it putting your coals out.

SO TRUE! And so funny...although it wasn't too funny yesterday.

Top portion of bag of lump was great, but what I poured into the two chimneys for my big kettle wasn't. Had to light more and finish the 13 pork chops on my Performer. I can't remember last time this happened but it was the perfect storm of me putting off having a circle of expanded metal cut for my big OTG's charcoal grate, crappy lump, and not shaking off the chops before grilling. Humbling to say the least, but although supper was late, the chops were still pretty good.

But yes, leave wet, as it will mean more flavor and carmelization if the marinade is sweet. (Turn, don't burn.;-) Honey Weber chipotle chops has been an instant hit with us and is USUALLY easy peasy!

Because there is 99% of the time it's just two of us, so the amount is not that much so I go with wet. Large amounts I pat dry for the above stated reasons.

Back