doing anything different this bbq season?

I started reading this from the first post and wondered who brought it back to life. Some folks posted you don't see much around here anymore.

And Jim says he has something up his sleeve... Hmmm. Last time I saw that there was a boar's head involved. LOL

I want to do more authentic recipes. I started in Jan and plan to continue throughout 2014.

I'm going to do more cast iron cooking on the grill, and more grill pan cooking on the grill, and I'm going to try to make Aaron Franklin brisket on the WSM. :)

One of my latest cooks has been faux pastrami using Walmart's small corned beef brisket points. I (and my family and guests) have LOVED the pastrami. I used my 14.5 and Mini-Joe and it was a treat. I shall be doing more of that, for sure!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I'm gonna grill and smoke more veggies, try faux pastrami, and maybe some bacon.

As for what I'm doing different, I think I've finally identified how that boiling the pan will mess with my smoke flavor, so the deep water pan won't be going in my 18 anymore.

Last edited:
I did only my second brisket last summer and tried to follow Franklins method. Even the wrapping in butcher paper. Turned out pretty damn good, but probably not anywhere near best brisket in the USA as his has been coined.

Great thread! Thanks for the bump. This is the summer of brisket for me (among other things). I have one kettle and two wsm's. For special gatherings, I'd love to be able to serve wings, pulled pork (done in advance & reh-heated), ribs, and brisket. I have good routines for everything except brisket, and I want to have a worthy beef offering. I had a recent success on brisket, so I think I'll get there before my recent buy of 200 lbs of charcoal is gone. I also ordered an ATC (CyberQ WiFi), and I'm looking forward to transitioning from my Mavericks (which I absolutely love), to ATC.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot ... I need to up my game on sides!!! My son laughs about it. He is a very picky eater, and he always brags about my grilling/smoking, but he always qualifies it by saying that I eventually need to up my game on side dishes.

Last edited:
I did a whole pig last year, would like to do another whole animal, maybe lamb, but definitely will do the whole pig again. Would like to perfect a rub, pork, beef, and chicken.( not sure if perfecting a rub is possible, so let me change that to 'make a damn good rub').

I'm planning on smoking and grilling more and to expand repertoire of recipes past ribs, burgers and grilled chicken

Now that my smokehouse is finished, I'm going to get serious about producing all my own prepared/cured/preserved meats. Been doing bacon, beef & venison jerkey, and turkey breasts for a while now so it's time to expand. Next up is sausages (sausage, salami, kielbasa, andouille, boudin, etc.). My big goal is to slow smoke a whole uncooked ham. Ultimately I want to stop buying all prepared meats altogether.

Russ

I'd really like to smoke more fish this year.

I love salmon and would like to do some on the smoker this year. (I usually just grill it on a cedar plank). If the weather coopoerates I also do a bit of striper (stripper? Got to be careful, there's a big difference) fishing in and wonder if that would smoke up well?

I also so a TV show about a community Shad cook, where the fish is basted, and nailed to wood planks with salt pork and set around the perimeter of a very large, very hot fire. I was wondering I could somehow set up a small version of this using just the base of my 22 WSM? or, would I not be able to get a hot enough fire? I understand Shad can be very boney and am thinking if another fish would also cook well with this method?

Oh and I've got a small rib roast that I am currently dry aging. I'm wonder if I want to grill, or smoke it?

I also have to use my Cajun Bandit Rotissaire unit more this year

And do more wings...

and try the yellow BBQ sauce a friend gave me

and find the time to do all this... :)

Last edited:
Great Thread! I have four Weber’s and a mini and I will most likely go to the gasser because I'm always to busy with doing something else to allow for the time needed for L&S cooking.
I'm going to use a couple of days a week to prioritize my outdoor cooking time so I can better my skills and enjoy some traditional BBQ instead of a quick grill.
I need to select a few recipes that the wife and I enjoy and make them my signature dishes and work with them until I’m totally comfortable with them instead of trying everything I see on the forum.
Also working on my CI skills on the grills for both sides and mains.

Im going to start using Royal Oak Lump charcoal in stead of the ole Kingsford on the WSM. Also I'm going to try to use the purist method of no foil. I recently took a BBQ class and noticed a definite difference in taste and texture in longer cooks without the use of foil.

Im going to start using Royal Oak Lump charcoal in stead of the ole Kingsford on the WSM. Also I'm going to try to use the purist method of no foil. I recently took a BBQ class and noticed a definite difference in taste and texture in longer cooks without the use of foil.

You'll find that the wsm, especially the 22, will really go through some Royal oak lump. That's why I use briquettes in the bottom of the ring and to light with on long cooks. That way I still avoid briquette ash issues and most of the charcoal smoke you can get from a Minion burn of briquettes.

I'm in the no foil camp, as well. You just gotta cook more and be more conscious of cooking temp.

This year I would like to try something that I have not tried before. I would like to smoke a gyros roast on a rotiss.
I see them in the Greek fast food places heated by electric infra red and cant help but think that they could be so much
better low and slow over the coals with a little smoke. Only one way to find out I guess.

Back