Darwin is alive (well, figuratively speaking) in Maine

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
A young man who was drinking and celebrating the Fourth of July tried to launch a firework off the top of his head, fatally injuring himself, U.S. authorities said Sunday.

Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks Saturday night in the backyard of a friend's home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety. Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, he said.

The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly, McCausland said.
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/topstories/u-s-man-shoots-off-firework-from-top-of-his-head-dies-1.3138950

Every 4th some drunk idiot does something really stupid and gets seriously injured or killed, what a shame.

I'm surprised any of the guys I served with (myself included) made it to 25, due to amazing acts of drunken stupidity.

I think it takes more than just being drunk to do that. I am sorry that the young man will never have the opportunity to really grow to maturity. Just another reason I stopped drinking at 22 (44 years ago). Won't criticize those who do but just pray that no one drinks to the point of being drunk or under the influence. Just my thought, but I think I have more fun being under control and being able to remember what I was doing. Just a thought, my senses, including taste, are more acute than they would be if I drank. The food we cook is worth it. IMHO

Darwin is also spending time in Texas:
"One minute he's there and then the next minute he's gone," Michelle Wright said.

What started as a night of fun at Burkhart's Marina in Orange ended with the fatal attack early Friday morning.

"I asked him please do not go swimming, there's a bigger alligator out here, just please stay out of the water," Wright, an employee at the restaurant, said.

Workers report they spotted a ten-foot gator in the waters of Adams Bayou this week, prompting them to post a warning sign reading "No Swimming Alligators."

Investigators said Woodward didn't pay attention to the posted warnings and pleas from Wright.

"He said blank the alligators and thereupon jumped into the water," Orange County Justice of the Peace Rodney Price said.

Price said the 28-year old was almost immediately attacked and another young girl jumped in after him.

"Next thing I know this girl is screaming an alligators got him, an alligator's got him and I grab a flashlight trying to zoom it over the water, trying to find him," Wright said. "The next thing I know, I don't even know how long it was, I saw his body floating face down and then he's up there for a couple seconds and then he gets dragged back down and pulled off."

So who is dumber, the guy who didn't believe the sign and was killed or the girl who jumps in the water after seeing Tommie get grabbed by the gator?

That's why I like to stay home on holiday's. To many people not in their right minds doing dumb things and driving drunk and such. Last night there were so many firecrackers and fireworks being set off in our neighborhood in spite of it being illegal and with the drought in California it is just not smart. Just seems to get worse every holiday. Just my 20 cents (adjusted for inflation).

This year in the Chicago area there were more "non municipal" fireworks, bombs and the sort than I have ever heard at any other 4th in memory.
I have a self imposed 2 beer limit. I have a friend who when we were young and dumb and drunk, climbed a powerline pole and lost an arm. So while
the guy in Maine died immediately, maybe it saved him from a lifetime of people asking him "what happened".

I keep thinking if that was my son how angry and disappointed (to say nothing of heartbroken) I would be that my boy died so stupidly. what a waste of a young life.

so long as people have ready access to fireworks, this is going to happen every year, booze or not. The NYG pass rusher jason pierre-paul ( who is in a position to light fireworks with 100 dollar bills) just had his 60 million long term deal pulled by the giants because of a fireworks accident.

there's nothing more patriotic that filling a neighborhood with sulfur smoke with fireworks imported from who knows where and hope that the THREE chinese lanterns you set free dont land in some parched filed and burns someone's house down.

Glad I've never drank to the point where that sounds like a good idea...

I did, but I had plenty of good friends to save my arse. We've all 'pulled each other from the fire' once or twice. Fortunately, we've all lived to laugh about it. I really feel bad for this guy's family.

Back