Corn on the Cob (your method)

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
With fresh corn coming in, I was curious about how other members grill it.
After trying about every method, I've settled on cutting off the stalk end, cutting off the silk end, pulling off a few shucks and grilling indirect for awhile,
then direct until I feel it's done.
I didn't find any difference from water soaking it first.

How do you do corn on the cob?

We do it husks in tact wrapped in tinfoil over direct turning every few minutes, while the rest of the meal goes on over indirect

Foil, imo, just causes the item inside to steam, not roast or grill. Like foiling potatoes for 'baking' or 'griling' - neither actually occurs - I'm not a fan.

I remove all the husk except the last inner leaves then roast indirect on a grill (or in an oven) or, if planning to be near the grill for a while (not a usual thing for me), I grill direct a couple or three minutes per side, rotating to cover all sides.

The inner husk dries and recedes (on the grill or in the oven) allowing some caramelization of the kernels and boosting flavor tremendously. The silk dries and comes off very easily after cooking, rather than trying to deal with ahead of time.

I often immediately smear with chipotle mayonnaise which the heat will cause to seize and set nicely.

Soaking in water does nothing.

I cut the stalk off and the loose silk at the end but leave the silk that is in the husk I remove most of the husk and then soak the corn in water with salt and sugar added for at least an hour. I give the corn a few shakes to get some of the water off and then will grill direct for a while then move indirect. I eat the corn as is but sometimes I will add a little butter to left over corn.

I open them up & remove most of the silk, re-wrap, & grill.

I'm not big on butter, mayo, or anything else---personally, I usually eat just plain, & sometimes even raw!

mmmmmm, raw sweet corn

:drool:

I cut the kernels off the cob and skewer them, then grill indirect for a few minutes a side.
icon_razz.gif

We skin it,s&p and evoo,then grill it direct,turning evry 3-5 minutes. The carmelization is awesome!

I follow the America's Test Kitchen recipe for Mexican street corn. Shuck the corn, soak in salt water for a couple of hours, and straight on the grill. Grill for 15 to 20 minutes until the kernels start to pop.

My wife fires up the gasser and gets it really crazy hot. She puts the corn as is - in the husk, doesn't pull anything off - in the little basket towards the top of the grill. She cooks them 10-15 minutes, flips them (there should be some good char on the bottom) and then another 10 minutes on the other side if they had good char or 15 if they didn't. It's really good. You can do the same thing in a very hot oven - she just uses the gasser so it doesn't heat up the house.

i just put them on the grill direct until the husks are nice and burnt up occasionally flipping giving them a pinch every now and then to check for being done.

Leif

I pull back the husk, remove the silk, re-cover the corn with the husk, soak for about 30 minutes, and grill. When it's done, I use the husk for a holder. Sorry about the low quality picture.
5781172443_53bb6dd62c_z.jpg

Originally posted by Jim H.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Spearman:
Anybody ever try this? http://www.wimp.com/shuckcorn/

Saw this yesterday, and I wonder if you can grill after microwaving the corn. Would cooking on the grill and then cutting off the stalk end give the same result? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim;
I saw this last year and I use it when i BBQ my corn it works well as long as you cut all of the husks off clean down at the base of the ear.
Love this method.

Kevin

I've found that the silks come off much easier after grilling than when fresh.
Twist the shucked ear through a damp paper towel and it's clean enough for me and the gang.

Just throw them on. Cook until kernels are tender. I used to soak and do all kinds of other stuff but this has the best results, and is easiest.

I soak them, silk down, in a pot of cold water, for at least an hour before I cook them.
I put my S-330 on medium heat, and put the corn on, in the husks. I cook them for about 45 mins to an hour, rotating them often, until the outside husks are charred.

Delicious!

Bob

Originally posted by Lew:
I pull back the husk, remove the silk, re-cover the corn with the husk, soak for about 30 minutes, and grill. When it's done, I use the husk for a holder. Sorry about the low quality picture.

That is the way we always had it growing up. It's the way I grill it now. I'd like to ry grilling it shucked to get some nice char on the kernels and use it for salsa.

Back