Complete & Total Fail

Kemper Morris

TVWBB Gold Member
Complete & Total Fail

Ribs if you can call them that

- - - Updated - - -

Tried the Snake Method. 3 high 2 across. Made a C

- - - Updated - - -

For 3 hours everything was fine. Then I completely lost my heat. All the charcoal had burned up. I added a full lit chimney & carried on.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what they looked like after I finished

- - - Updated - - -

Last time I do the snake method. Going back to the Minion method. They were underdone. Absolutely horrible. I'd pit my ribs up against anybody's & these weren't even edible. Worst cook of my life. Thank God they weren't for a client. Babygirl liked them OK. I'll pick myself back up & get back on that horse but today I had to swallow humble pie.

Sorry about the poor performance man! Honestly, donut/minion method works best for me, not sure I'd do snake unless I had ceramic/kamado style cooker. Looks like you cooked spares which takes about 5.25-6 hours for me at 230 F. If I were doing 3 slabs I'd fill my WSM 22 1/2 full with charcoal with 4-6 small lumps of wood. Depending on ambient temps I'd start a chimney with 20-40 briq's. Better luck next time! Just remember, if you're not making mistakes, you're not learning!

.....there goes the neighborhood.....

:)

hqdefault.jpg

Sometimes you're the bug and some times you get to be the windshield. I'd be bummed too, but with all the successful cooks you've had, it's just a reality check that stuff just happens sometimes.

I was going to ask how do y'all put the pics of your cookers in your profile

Kemper, go to settings, and edit signature, you can add text and pictures.. You will be able to preview it before you make it go live. That way you can make sure it looks as good as 99.9% of your cooks and not your snake method ribs.:p

Kemper, go to settings, and edit signature, you can add text and pictures.. You will be able to preview it before you make it go live. That way you can make sure it looks as good as 99.9% of your cooks and not your snake method ribs.:p

You need to make the pic 80 x 80 pixels - find something you like, & if you need help formatting the pic to the right size I or many others would be happy to resize it for you.

That is a bummer! I've had a couple cooks that didn't turn out as good and decided not to post here. I over smoked some chicken last summer.

Could've finished in the oven.......

Seriously, it's no prob to resize your avatar if ya need

I think we've all had things not go as planned once in awhile. Heck the 72 Dolphins were the only undefeated pro team. I'll bet you avenge that cook with something great!

Hang in there Kemper. I go to the snake when doing very low temp. Works great for cool smoking sausages or pork belly. I wouldn't abandon it entirely. I've seen enough of your cooks to know this was an anomaly. You'll kill it next time!

If you are gonna play... you'll get tagged at some point in time.
I have to hand it to you: you posted the cook & others can learn from it.
Thanks.
Myself: what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.
Cook Awn !!!

Hang in there Kemper. I go to the snake when doing very low temp. Works great for cool smoking sausages or pork belly. I wouldn't abandon it entirely. I've seen enough of your cooks to know this was an anomaly. You'll kill it next time!

I do the same as Cliff. I use minion most of the time and the snake for low temp cooks like sausages or jerky.

Before I got my WSM I used the "snake method" in my 22.5 kettle. The snake I made would go around with about a 3 inch break between beginning and end. I was making shoulder, briskets and ribs on it. Yes it was more of a hassle than the WSM but truthfully it worked fine. I would keep an eye on it after 5 hours and then add coals to the end as needed.

Back